Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

To all you experts out there.
    I've run into a litlle bit of a problem. In fact, it's a BIG problem for me.
    After I designed my ebsite, i published it with no problem.
    I viewed it on an external computer on the internet, it looked good.
    The problem arises when i edit on my site and then republish. (I have used FileZille and the internal ftp publishing in XARA, it makes absolutely no difference to the question and problem I'm about to pose:
    when i go view the website again, after editing on it (whether i delete ALL the files on the hosting side ... whether I republish the entire site to replace everyting on the hosting site, or whether i just use the option to just update the files that have changed) ... none of everything ive just said, make a difference to this that happens:
    When i go view the site on the internet, whether i use my pc to view it, or whether i view it on an external pc ... the site comes thru looking corrupted. THE ONLY THING THAT FIXES THIS, is if i go delete my browsing history. And then i go back onto the site, and it's perfect. Which tells me it's being hosted correctly. What's happening here, is that once a computer (any computer), has viewed my site the first time (on the internet), the any subsequent changes i make on my site, and re-publish, then the viewers view externaly, is corrupt. The ONLY explanation i can come to, is that within the PC, any PC, be it my PC, or the viewers PC out there in the world, the computer is storing something in itself ... and this MUST be because the designing program XARA, is not telling putting some sort of data within the html files, to tell a viewing computer, to completely clear its browsing history, so that ONLY the new files will be viewed, when accessed via the internet. I tell you, i sit with my hands in my hair, I have no idea how to solve this, i have written many e-mails, and no-one seems to have the answer. And it's not as if from within Xara, that one can see anything. i.e. when i do the design, it looks absolutely perfect, then i export it (deleting the hosting files in exostance first, or not deleting them, makes no difference to the outcome) .... once the site is publish for a second time, and files have changed, then when it comes back into the computer from the internet, it views corrupted, UNLESS ONE DELETES THE COMPUTERS BROWSING HISTORY. This should not happen, because who has to delete their browsing history first, in order to view a website correctly? PLEASE SOMEONE :-) PLEASE COME UP WITH THE ANSWER FOR ME. And just to add, the fact that AFTER ONE DELETES THE BROWSING HISTORY, and then goes onto the site again, and then the site COMES THRU PERFECTLY, tells me that the host is holding ALL the correct data, ALL THE CORRECT TEXT, ALL THE CORRECT IMAGES ... it;s not as if the images sizes are at all incorrect ... IF ONE DELETES THE BROWSING HISTORY, the site comes thru correctly ... until i edit again on my site in XARA, republish, and again the site shows incorrectly, until i delete my browsing history again .... what is going on? PLease someone, help me:-) Thanks so much. gleNNscheun.com gleNNscheun@gmail.com

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

It's such a long post it's hard to read.

I think that you are updating the site and your browser cache is saving the old site so you are getting a bit of a mishmash.

All browsers cache the content of pages - it speeds up your internet access. In practice web developers learn to clear the cache to view changes, or force a page refresh in the browser.

It's not something users normally see and most web developers test first then only update the main site when the design is ready.

When explaining problems, fewer words are better than a long ramble, and no, WE DON'T NEED NO CAPITALS to understand.

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

Last edited by Glennn; 13 February 2011 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks Pauland for your reply. But i can tell you, that every person i've spoken to who is viewing this website of mine, after a edit by me on my side, tells me its showing corrupted. So how then within my design, do i place a command within my design, to tell the viewing computer to refresh its browsing history (only regarding Xara files and my website). What you saying makes sense, but what is happening now ... is my website is needing ... on all other computers and mine, for the browsing history to first be deleted, in order for the site to be viewed correctly. What, if anything, am i doing wrong, and what is the answer, to correct this? Im going through the correct procedures, in the design, in the publishing, in everything as far as i know, and yet others are telling me the site is coming thru wrong, from day to day ... then they clear their own browsing history, and then it's perfect, so something fom my side, needs to be fixed. Can you help me? PS. as regarding testing first before publishing, it looks absolutely perfect on my side, i do a preview, it's perfect, so i export what i see as a perfect design. And it must be exporting correctly, because when it comes through from the internet ... (once the viewer clears his/her browsing history), then the site is perfect, so the site is being exported correctly. I don't know what's going on here... it really is frustrating. I could show you what i mean ... if you were to view my site now ... then give me ten minutes, and i change something myside, and i republish, and if you then logged out and logged in, and went to my site agian, it would come through corrupted. then, if you, on yr side, without me doing anything more on my side, if you cleared your browsing history, and relogged in seconds later, it would be perfect ... so somehow, a command within the design, to tell a remote computer, not to in anyway access what is stored in cache on that pc, needs to be implemented, otherwise, an external out there pc, is always going to access precvious cache data in its browsing history, casuing my site to be view corrupted. I am so frustreated. It's a weid problem, one that shouldnt even be happening. Sorry for the long reply, but i have to write this down, so that others can fully understand ... someone will have an answer for me. Please help if you can. Thanks so much for your reply, www.gleNNscheun.com

Give us the URL and then maybe we'll get to see the problem.

I'm not going to read the rest of the post - it's too long.

Glenn, please post the URL to your site.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Pressing F5 usually fixes things... the page just needs to be refreshed.

I use Filezilla to upload files. there is no need to delete the client side and server side files every time you upload. If you do you need to make sure you delete the folder called index.html_files on the server side. If you end up with more than one of these on the server side there's no telling what sort of corruptions can occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevo View Post
    Pressing F5 usually fixes things... the page just needs to be refreshed.

I use Filezilla to upload files. there is no need to delete the client side and server side files every time you upload. If you do you need to make sure you delete the folder called index.html_files on the server side. If you end up with more than one of these on the server side there's no telling what sort of corruptions can occur.
    I can press f5 a thousand times. must the viewer on the other side of the world also press f5? should i tell everyone who looks at my site to press F5? The website views absolutely perfectly in the design, i publish it, i edit it now and again, and it is coming through wrongly on the other side of the world. This is what i need an answer to. You say it makes no difs if i delete files the server side or not, yet I DO, i delete ALL files, so theres no chance of having more than one of any index_html files folder, yet the problem persists. Im very frustrated. Thank you for trying to help. Please help me. Thanks. I want to know if there's something I'm doing wrong, and how to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    Glenn, please post the URL to your site.
    www.gleNNscheun.com