Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

Quote Originally Posted by Glennn View Post
    Only once browsing history or refreshing on the users computer is done, then the site come thru perfectly, which tells me it lies there perfectly? Would be interesting to hear yr thoughts on this. Thanks :-) gleNN
    Could you apply that code snippet somewhere and let us try it out? It would be an interesting exercise I think.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    Could you apply that code snippet somewhere and let us try it out? It would be an interesting exercise I think.
    I've tried all the codes, i still get error. Once a user has just ONCE looked at my site, and then if i should change something, then users are getting a corrupt image. And F5 is not working for them. It doesnt fix it. I DONOT understand why this is happening, why other sites, like google, etc, which are changing constantly, are not affected by "cache things", that are going on inside a users computer. It is beyond me, and not one person on this forum, as yet, has come upm with an answer to just that question. I want my website to be just like that, NOTHING, i mean NOTHING, must be able to alter the image, when it comes from a server, into a users computer. No-one this far, in ALL this correspondence, has come up with a solution that worksbut i shall carry on trying. SOME-ONE, will eventually give me an answer, that will say: do this. And then when i republish, every user out there will see exactly what i publish, and not a scrambled website. thanks for your reply :-) gleNN gleNNscheun@gmail.com www.gleNNscheun.com

Sir. And i call you Sir out of respect. THIS, may very well solve this. I will certainly try it. It makes sense to me what you are saying. Thank you for your input :-). I shall get back to you :-) Thank you for your help
    It doesnt fix it for me. I've tried everything.
    My question is this. If i said nothing more on this site .... why does a site for example, like Google, that changes by the second .... why is it not affected by ANY cache issues, inside a users computer. I have never seen any corrupt images, nor needed to use and F5 or delete any browsing history, in order to see websites. Yet with mine, when it comes into a users computer, cache is then built up inside that computer, which interfears with the viewing of my website, the second time round (if changes are made). Why do other sites not do this, yet mine does. I'm not giving up untill I get an answer. :-) thanks for your reply. gleNN

why does a site for example, like Google, that changes by the second .... why is it not affected by ANY cache issues, inside a users computer
    ...because it is built by people who are are very, very clever

OK, change something on the site and let us know and I'll look again.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornkn View Post
    Did covoxers solution, with always exporting locally first, solve your problem?
    nope .... it doesnt seem to have
    my site (on the users side), still seems to be affected by the cache that lies in the users computer.
    On all fairness.... if all the users should now clear their browsing history .... if i couold get them to do that .... then maybe, just maybe, things might be right .... im guessing .... but im still wondering and asking why every other website in the entire world, views correctly on my PC, no matter where the settings are on the PC, yet mine gives a scramble. And you've seen that scramble. I tried just now .... did an example, i made some changes in my website, followed waht covoxers said, and it was a scrambled mess that came thru :-(. I do have a question tho, when i re-publish, a block does come up with this question: (and this after i delete ALL files on the hosting server side, which is puzzling to me ... but never the less, i get this statement and question: The Target File already exists, do you want to Overwrite, overwrite if source is newer, overwrite if different size ....overwrite if different size or source newer, resume, rename, skip? The file in question comes form my desktop (the source), to target file /index_html files/22.png. This is puzzling to me, because this gets asked after deleting on the server side, and during the republishing process, so what is it replacing? Anyway, I know i will get an answer to all this. And will be much the wiser when i do :-) Thanks for your help. gleNN

why does a site for example, like Google, that changes by the second .... why is it not affected by ANY cache issues
    The google web page is dynamic - rebuilt by javascript code. Results are returned with parameters attached, so result pages are all differrent. Just look at the URLS.

Your web pages are static.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_web_page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_web_page
    Last edited by pauland; 15 February 2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Pointless question removed

Glenn, your frustration comes through in every one of your posts and it pains me, it really does. What I would have done at least 20 posts ago if you were one of my customers is log onto your PC remotely and fix the problem. I don't know what the solution is and clearly neither does anybody else because we are all flying blind. But I know those of us who do this kind of thing regularly, in our sleep, would spot the obvious error right away, and I bet it's a simple little thing that will REALLY annoy you once you find out what it is. Persevere, you will sort it.

If you want me to log onto your machine and take a look at your setup I will be happy to do so, for free of course. Just send me a PM.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

...because it is built by people who are are very, very clever

OK, change something on the site and let us know and I'll look again.
    Hey sir :-)
    Are you there now?
    Shall i change something now?
    Can you e-mail me now and say yes, im here ... i just wanna make sure you there then i can do a change ... but it takes about 5minutes etc. let me know. thanks gleNNscheun@gmail.com

Glenn, your frustration comes through in every one of your posts and it pains me, it really does. What I would have done at least 20 posts ago if you were one of my customers is log onto your PC remotely and fix the problem. I don't know what the solution is and clearly neither does anybody else because we are all flying blind. But I know those of us who do this kind of thing regularly, in our sleep, would spot the obvious error right away, and I bet it's a simple little thing that will REALLY annoy you once you find out what it is. Persevere, you will sort it.

If you want me to log onto your machine and take a look at your setup I will be happy to do so, for free of course. Just send me a PM.

Thanks so much Sir :-) Just the fact that you sense my pain, makes me feel better :-) someone understands. I just read a posting by a guy, and he pretty much hits the nail on the head .... explains that one must NEVER delete that first time folder, that your site creates .... and this is where i erred. BUt it's now that i need to rectify this, and now that i have, and i leave that folder alone ... im still getting scrambled eggs, and what concerns me, is that if get them, the rest of the world is too :-) eeeeek.
    Here's what the post said:
    Publishing with Web Designer or Designer Pro.

When you hit the publish button you are asked first to export the site to a folder on your harddrive.
    Once this is done, the transfer of files to your host takes place (called 'Publishing' AKA: FTP)

DO NOT MOVE OR DELETE THIS EXPORTED FOLDER if you intend to keep making changes and updates.
    This is the mistake that many new users are making and why they run foul of the problem of corrupted sites that show messed up images or don't always show changes.

The Xara publishing system requires that the first export is to your harddrive and *remains* there because Xara keep a record of changed files, only changed files are published after this. This was designed to solve the renamed image files issue which can cause the wrong file to show in the wrong position and so on.

Once again **DO NOT** remove the orginally exported folder if you plan to keep adding or editing your site.

But how do i fix this now? and what do i do when im publishing, and the block asks me do i want to overwrite, or replace, png's?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    The google web page is dynamic - rebuilt by javascript code. Results are returned with parameters attached, so result pages are all differrent. Just look at the URLS.

Your web pages are static.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_web_page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_web_page
    Thank you Pauland. Thanks for your input. gleNN