Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can't import Scalable Vector Graphics (svg)

View your webdings, wingdings, wingdings2, and wingdings3 fonts and you find many of the noun project symbols. Other freely availalbe dingbat fonts also contain other symbols available at the noun project.

Truetype/Opentype fonts are vector formats. You can convert any text/dingbat to editable shapes and have the same functionality as if you imported the SVG file from noun project.

Owners of Illustrator and CorelDraw will also find the symbols in their clipart folders.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Great idea Soquili - I had a look thru my illustrator symbols and was reminded of why I enjoy Xara so much

I'm curious...I've seen wingdings for ever, but never ever made use of them. Probably because I find them so unpredictable. I just pumped a bunch out and find some great stuff. Anyone have any advice on how to make use of them, or do folks just pound the keyboard until they find something that may be of use?

Thanks!

If you create a text file of all the keyboard characters (upper and lower case) and keep it handy, you can copy and paste it into Xara any time. Select all the text and then double-click on the webdings fonts in the font gallery and you will see all the webdings on your computer. The useful thing is that this allows you to identify which keyboard character corresponds to which image.
    If you do a search for Dingbat Fonts you will find that there are literally thousands of these pictorial fonts out there, many of them free, with themes such as cartoons, animals, people, transport, halloween, Christmas, food, etc., etc. These can be loaded to your fonts folder and explored in Xara in the same way as the webdings.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Good tip, Bob

When looking for a specific image/object, I find the Character Map utility in Windows to help a lot. You can see all the symbols for that font and mouse-over shows it larger. (ie. visible)

Peace

James

Makes sense - thanks Bob!

www.DaFont.com has tons of free or shareware symbol/dingbat fonts.

Hi EDM3,

I use Character Map to view the dingbat fonts and select the character I need.

Character Map has been part of Windows for ages and can be found in the Start Menu > All Programs > System Tools > Character Map.

EDIT: I see James has already mention Character Map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	character_map.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	79924  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I used to use the Character Map extensively. Then Microsoft redesigned it so the glyph images are small, the popups are sticky, and the QWERTY keyboard equivalents are no longer displayed. Now I use the map in a paid-for font manager which is much easier to read. However, there's a very nice free font manager called NexusFont that has an excellent — and much more user-friendly — character map display. You might want to check that out.

The second item in this post may be of interest.
    Anton

Interesting AntonM. Good find.

BTW - having downloaded the full (current) library, there are lots of symbols that are beyond wingdings - and it's splendid to have them all in a .xar file. Someone at xara-users was able to print .pdf the whole library. It's worth checking out if interested. I'd upload the .xar file, but I'm on another computer....

Anyway, good info all around. Thanks!