Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Wink Need help with Webdesigner 6

Hi there!

Well, I´ve done a website for a friend of mine. He is owner of a nice LiveMusicClub here in Munich. I´ve created that site and I am going to send him the full template.

The question is, does he need to work with XARA to open the template that I´ve created with XARA or can he open that template with other webdesign programs, too? He sure needs to update this page as well....

Here´s the link to that page, that I´ve created: http://www.punschies-rockmuseum.de/Garage.html

many thanks in advance for your help

rockin´ regards

Marty

Default Re: Need help with Webdesigner 6

He'll need one of the Xara programs (like the one you used) that can export websites.

Edit: Love the welcome page!

Hello Boy,

well, theres no chance to open that template with other website editors? As for my knowledge he has Dreamweaver and Frontpage....

.xar and .web files are proprietary to Xara, which merely exports a website design to the HTML and image files that make up a web site. They'd be able to use Dreamweaver & such to edit the resultant HTML files, but not the original file.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Well, many thanks for your help. Just one more question - as I use XARA Webdesigner 6. Can I suggest him to purchase this german version?

http://www.magix.com/de/web-designer/?partnerid=9330

is this the same as XARA and is he able to get the files open with this MAGIX software?

important to realise that the xara programs are NOT HTML editors - when you make changes with them you don't edit the site, you overwrite it with new stuff re-exported from the original web/xar file

that means that if you do change the site with another program, then either the xara program will get lost and no longer work for that site, or the changes you made with the other program will be lost..
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 February 2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: add last bit
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Well, I understand, but can he use this MAGIX software, too? http://www.magix.com/de/web-designer/?partnerid=9330

is that similar to the XARA Webdesing 6 or just the same?

AFAIK web designer 6 is fully compatible with designer pro 6 [but not photo and graphic designer 6]

I cannot guarantee that the german version of each program is the same as the xara one as I have never used any of them, sorry...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Remember, that even with the Xara software he will also need to have the .xar file too, so it's potentially a messy way to work if both of you intend to work on the site.

I would be wary of working with a client in this way - certainly I would make it clear that any problems they cause will not be fixed free of charge.