Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 links only sometimes work

I'm using the horizontal nav bar created in Web Designer 6
    I'm using the same bar on all pages - I created it once on a separate page and then imported it to the other pages as needed and edited them
    Once posted sometimes the links highlight individually and work fine and other times the entire bar remains a solid color and the links do not work (in fact just rolling over them can have the effect of sending me to the Xara website)
    I see that others have had this problem, but I didn't see any solutions, only that someone more experienced would look at the problem later... except for one comment about layers... that I didn't understand.
    the website is: http://www.stphiliplc.com
    check out the Ministries link (main one on the menu) I have two bars on that page and one works and one doesn't - why?
    I need help - I sent in a ticket 9 hours ago and again later, but no help yet - is that usual?

Default Re: links only sometimes work

I see what you mean.

What happens if you select Layer 1 or the MouseOff layer (in Web Designer), then select the nav bar and bring it to the font (Arrange > Bring to Front)?

Sending in a ticket may very well be responded to. It is just a question of which life time. Xara is a very small company and really relies on these forums to provide tech support which we try to do.

I don't think I understand the layer part - I looked all around and did not see anything that applied like that .

I have tried the "move to front" and on the Spirit Newsletter page (under Contact Us), I tried moving it so that it stood totally alone - no handles from any other object touched it and visa versa. Still didn't work.

Where do I get the mouseover layer that you talked about?

Press F10 to open the Page and Layers Gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	79915  

Apparently my problem was that the mastheads that Xara provides include links to the Xara website (why would they do that?) Anyway the masthead link was being activated by my menu being so close to it. I don't know why they didn't tell me that last week when I submitted a ticket... last week they said that the only link on my site was the "made by Xara" link at the bottom.
    I am grateful and relieved to know the problem, but very unhappy about the tons of hours I had to spend on it - I just hope this really does solve the problem and give a "heads up" to other users.

Hi stphiliplc...

Just a heads-up... there is still a Xara.com link on the 'View Recent Service' page that interferes with the navbar.

Also seems to be a problem with the navbar on the 'Calendar' page. Have you set links for it? If you have, consider the following:

The navbar on this page might be grouped together with another element, causing it to lose it's links.

Try deleting the navbar (Ungrouping doesn't seem to work well once objects with different layers are grouped) and pasting in a working one.

If you still have problems, you could upload your .web file for one of us to take a look.

Good luck, and hang in there... there is usually a simple solution for most problems when learning how to use the program. Soon you will be a pro and the stress levels will subside.