Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default multiple user name and password protection for web pages...

Hi,

Could someone tell me if Xara Web designer 6 has the functionality to allow certain pages in my web site to be user name and password protected, and not just with a global username/password, but with individual ones for each member. If so is there a limit to the number allowed? Also, does it offer the standard - 'if you have forgotten your password click here and an email will be sent to you' type thing?

Many thanks,

Sarah

Default Re: multiple user name and password protection for web pages...

You can't do this via Xara or without a MySQL system on an https server. It's very complex and not suitable for a $39 wysiwyg web designer :-)

>>Could someone tell me if Xara Web designer 6 has the functionality to allow certain pages in my web site to be user name and password protected

Yes

>> not just with a global username/password, but with individual ones for each member.

Yes

>>If so is there a limit to the number allowed?

No (depends how you set up the php file)

>>does it offer the standard - 'if you have forgotten your password click here and an email will be sent to you' type thing?

No - but you can offer an email link on the page for those who's login fails.

http://board.xara-users.info/viewtop...&t=180&start=0
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    You can't do this via Xara or without a MySQL system on an https server. It's very complex and not suitable for a $39 wysiwyg web designer
    That's not true. You don't need https at all and there are plenty of flat text or xml content management solutions out there that don't require a database connection (although I would recommend one). And many of them are free. Just look at this page for a start.

Sarah, if you want to set up a website with multiple users, I would recommend the simple CMS (content management system) route and just do the graphics in Xara. Xara is a wonderfully flexible graphical website tool, but not ideally suited to the creation of a website from scratch giving access to multiple users. You could do it using htaccess password-protected directories but, once again, there is a learning curve and would, in all likelihood need to be managed by you whereas most cms-based systems largely manage themselves.

Best of luck
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Total gobbledegook to me! Can it be done in Xara products, that's the point
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I'll try again then

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBentley View Post
    Could someone tell me if Xara Web designer 6 has the functionality to allow certain pages in my web site to be user name and password protected
    No.

But it includes a feature called placeholders allowing you to add chunks of code that can do this. It is not automated. In a CMS it is.
    But you need to add the code yourself, and in the correct places using the correct syntax. It is not automated. In a CMS it is.

The more complex your requirements (like multiple users, each with unique passwords) the bigger the "No" becomes. It is not automated. In a CMS it is.

So, the short and sweet answer to your original question is No
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

htaccess is greatly simplified using this but you're looking at another $34. Big bonus is you don't have to do anything at all inside Xara.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"