Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default About Free Plug-Ins

I noticed on Xara's website under product info for Photo and Graphic Designer 6 that several free plug-ins are included with the program (see http://www.xara.com/us/products/designer/plugins/). How are these plug-ins accessed or installed? It is my understanding they are part of the Live Effects function, but I don't see them anywhere.

I purchased and installed PGD6 in December of last year and am just now getting fully up and running with the program. Just wanted to do some experimenting and was wondering how to access the free plug-ins. It was actually a good selling point and was one of the reasons I ended up buying the program.

Default Re: About Free Plug-Ins

First, check to see if you already have some free plugins, Tex. I think some come with the program, and should already be installed.

Select an object (say, a rectangle), and click on the Live effect tool (Ctrl/F5). Click on ‘New >’ up on the menu bar, and your plugins should be listed there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

I saw those already. I dabbled with each one, but none match the capabilities offered by the free ones mentioned by Xara in their product description. Just curious how to access them. Maybe I'll check with Xara.

Hi

any chance of a screen shot of the menu you get when you click on 'new' in the live effect tool - just to see if it looks right

when you say they don't match capabilities can you be more specific ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'll try to attach a quick graphic image view of the Live Effects menu that appears when I click the Live Effects button. Pretty much just the basic filters and their related tweaks, which is still very good and useful. Referencing the Xara page link I mentioned above (http://www.xara.com/us/products/designer/plugins/), I would be very much interested in Eye Candy 4000's Chrome plug-in; Xenofex 2's Mosaic and Crumple plug-ins; Redfield's Craquelure plug-in; and AV Bros Page Curl plug-in. That's why I kind of got excited when it said they would be included with the software.

If they cannot be accessed (which would be unfortunate), just out of curiousity do you know of any good links to other sources of free Xara or Photo Shop plug-ins? I was going to do a Google search later and also view some of Xara's plug-in threadsfor ideas. And are they easily installed if I do happen to find some I like? Many thanks.

hi

the alienskin, eyecandy and xenoflex are marked demos as supplied - I cant remember if that means time limited, and they are not installed on my machine at present

the redfield filters are not marked demo

to install a filter you go to utilities > options > effects & plugins > setup and add the folder they are in, tick the box 'enable host specific plug-ins', click ok, click apply

not all photoshop filters will work

mehdi filters are good with xara
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks. I'll do some "plug-in" exploring later. Is there a way to know beforehand if any particular Photo Shop plug in will install and work properly, or is it just a matter of trial of error? And just for clarification, it is my understanding that any successfully installed plug-in will be accessed via the Live Effects button. Correct?

You may need to set the path to the plugin location. I depends where they are installed ofr added. Not all plugins are installed. Plugins native to a application may not work. Do a forum search.

I have been reviewing Eye Candy 6. The up grade from EC 4000 and the other versions appears reasonable.

EC 4000 is somewhat limited to the size of application. The UI is old as well. I have several hundred environments for Chrome, and it is tedious to select form a limited list. Try the trial version that comes with Xara.

Rich

Thanks, will do. I don't want to burden the program with a bunch of plug-ins, but as you know some design "extras" are sometimes handy to have around and play with. I'll take a look and see what is out there that may be compatible with Xara. Am I correct in assuming all after-market plug-ins, once installed, are accessible via Xara's Live Effects button?

Not all plugins work. AutoFX plugins do not work for instance.
    If the plugins are installed in the Xara program group the ones that will work will most likely show up. If their installed under Photoshop, then you will need to set a path in Utilities. You can always remove the path to limit the use. Photoshop plugins up to ver 5.5 may work. Not everything does.

Rich