Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how to paste a clean image

After years of using Ulead's Photo Impact 11 as my primary graphics program, I have now switched over and am attempting to master Xara's Photo and Graphic Designer 6 from scratch. It's like becoming blind overnight and having to re-orient oneself to a brand new world. A definite challenge. I've run across a few design roadblocks I'm trying to work thru, but the first pressing issue is the following.

For example: Say I create three different colored objects such as a star, a circle, and a rectangle. I then decide to overlay the objects, then select each, then choose to group as one by clicking the Group button. I then hit the JPEG button to save/export. My image has been created. If I wish to paste this new image onto a colored background of some sort, the saved image always has a white background. How do I save an object so it can be "cleanly" pasted into a background of a different color.

Obviously, I can save my image as a bitmap and choose white as the transparent color, but I have found that doesn't always work either. Even this method leaves my image surrounded by scattered traces of white.

In Xara what is the secret to saving objects so that only the object itself will appear cleanly when it's superimposed over a colored background?. I know I am missing a step somewhere, just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Default Re: how to paste a clean image

Hi there,

You can export the image as a PNG file. When the options box comes up choose Palette Options/Color depth/True color + Alpha, and Options/transparent, before exporting.

To do the same just on the page, you can pick Arrange/Create Bitmap Copy and again choose True color + Alpha.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Try exporting as a png true color + alpha.
    or, create your image on the same color background as it will appear on the final, a jpg will still have a box around it but it should be the same color as the background on which it was created. This will not work on multicolored or textured images though.

Better yet import your background and create the other image top of that and then export the whole kit and kabootle in the file type of your choosing. Now there should be no problem even on a multicolored background.

Here a png of one of my tests in the better yet part.You are seeing the white only because of forum page color. I hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t14.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	79739  
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by James Allen View Post
    Hi there,

You can export the image as a PNG file. When the options box comes up choose Palette Options/Color depth/True color + Alpha, and Options/transparent, before exporting.

To do the same just on the page, you can pick Arrange/Create Bitmap Copy and again choose True color + Alpha.
    Right on James Allen. You beat me too it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

James,

Thanks so much, your suggestion Create Bitmap Copy was the solution I was in search of. Just one more thing I can cross off my extensive "how do I make this happen in Xara" list. Mind if I pick your brain for one other thing I am trying to do? Say I am looking at a graphics image and decide I want to select and extract just a part of the image. In Ulead I would just take the selection tool and draw around the part of the image I wanted to extract. It would thereby create a defined selection area that I could then move about separately with the selector tool. Very easy and quick. How do I accomplish the same task with this program? My first impulse is to take Xara's Selector Tool, hold down the left mouse button, and draw a box around the area to select it, like I'm used to. I can draw a box, but it disappears when I let go of the mouse button. What should I be doing?

Wizard 509,

Thanks. Using Ulead I quite often created a matching background first as you suggested, then just overlaid the image so the background would match up. It's a good quick fix and I may do it at times in a pinch with this program. The Create a Bitmap Copy as suggested by James worked very well. Switching from one graphics program that I've used for so long, and now having to learn the nuances of a brand new one as extensive as Xara's, really taxes one's brain. But I've picked up quite bit just by poking around the options, watching the videos, and by trail and error. If I can just find the option to make my headache disappear

Thanks Larry – your example was a good help.

Quote Originally Posted by TXUSA View Post
    Mind if I pick your brain for one other thing I am trying to do?
    Any time, Tex.

Say I am looking at a graphics image and decide I want to select and extract just a part of the image... My first impulse is to take Xara's Selector Tool, hold down the left mouse button, and draw a box around the area to select it, like I'm used to. I can draw a box, but it disappears when I let go of the mouse button. What should I be doing?
    The Xara file I’ve attached shows how to cut out a part of a photo with the freehand tool, but you can use this technique with any object, and any other object. You may place one rectangle over another, select both, and use the top one to cut out the other. You can cut, clip, intersect, join, group, blend and subtract shapes, photos and lines from or with each other or with whole groups. Once you get the hang of the one attached, you can experiment with all the variations of it.

But take heed: You may never escape from Xara World after you begin down this road.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Indeed, the more I get into the intricacies of this program the more hooked I become. Very addictive discovering new things one can do with the tools available, once I discern what all the tools are. Didn't really realize how robust the program was when I first bought it. I see what they mean when they say it's a very fast graphics program. Click and the task is complete. If only my brain worked as efficiently and quickly as the program I'm trying to conquer.

Quote Originally Posted by TXUSA View Post
    If only my brain worked as efficiently and quickly as the program I'm trying to conquer.
    I hear that. Same problem here.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Those were all great tips James Allen. I think you were a big help to TXUSA.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509