I develop software and have had a project in mind for some time that would require images of fairly ordinary objects used in a computer program.

I'd imagine taking the pictures myself, so no stock images. I'm curious about where I'd sit with copyright issues for the design of the items themselves.

I realise I'd be in big trouble if I was using images of Cocoa Cola bottles, and most likely Lego, but should be reasonably OK with "generic" items such as a spoon, wrench or tumbler.

Between a Coco-Cola glass and a generic tumbler, is a sea of grey. I could imagine using objects that mostly wouldn't be obviously attributable to a particular manufacturer, but for some things they would be identifiable by some people and most probably the manufacturer.

Any pointers to general rules on this stuff?

I would imagine it's the same problem that an artist might have in composing an image made from everyday kitchen objects and then perhaps selling the prints. Some of those items will be recognisable as coming from a manufacturer, even if the logo isn't shown.

I might never use this information, but I'd like to know where this kind on image usage sits. My project might never happen, but then again I might make billions! LOL.

[The usage of an object might be such that it appears prominently, but not with the intention of that object implying an endorsment of the project - simply as a utility - I could mask any logos, or marks I guess ].