Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Need help creating an H1 tag..

Hi,
    I have a site up: http://www.onestopinformationshop.com and it does NOT have an H1 tag or an H2 tag. I would like to create these so I can get indexed but haven't been able to figure this out since there is no html!!! Can someone tell me what I have to do?
    Thanks
    gramme

Default Re: Need help creating an H1 tag..

I am not sure if you can do this. What do you mean by Get Indexed? Isn't this was the META tags (TITLE, DESCRIPTION, and KEYWORDS) is for?

In the old days of hand coding, we would use <H> tags to control the size of the text. But not to determine content.

I'm sure someone else will have another opinion or solution.

Hi Gramme

You will need to use a "place holder" to contain the code. See attached.

Uncheck the box labelled "Re-generate place holder image automatically" to show the original place holder object.

You will need to know a little bit about CSS to change its style.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hmmm It seems that Xara will not forget the last "image" generated when the box is unchecked.

Note also that the position of the tag within the code is dependant on its position in the layer structure. Sending it to the back will place it at the top of the code.

Google, and probably other search engines, see little difference between <h1> tags and large bold text. They are, so I gather, useful to people using some screen readers.

Improved version attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up Re: Need help creating an H1 tag..

Thank you all for your help. I did try to use a place holder and put the code in but that didn't work. I have an add on to Firefox installed that is an SEO doctor and it says "H1 tag should be present exactly once on the page and contain keywords you want to optimize for." Since one response said that google doesn't see the H1 different than large fonts! I think that is what I will do create the words I want to optimize for in a H1 size font and see if I can get indexed that way. Right now, my page doesn't show up at all...so I guess I have some work to do.
    Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate the input.
    gramme

I wonder what those <h1> rumours say about what happens if you just put some <h1></h1> tags around the page title inside the <head></head>? Will they still be seen by the bots?

Thumbs up Re: Need help creating an H1 tag..

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Hmmm It seems that Xara will not forget the last "image" generated when the box is unchecked.

Note also that the position of the tag within the code is dependant on its position in the layer structure. Sending it to the back will place it at the top of the code.

Google, and probably other search engines, see little difference between <h1> tags and large bold text. They are, so I gather, useful to people using some screen readers.

Improved version attached.
    Thank you for the graphic, I had not done it correctly. I was able to put it in the placeholder and it worked. I just have to put in code now to color the text.
    Thanks a bunch....
    gramme