Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Spam under the guise of TalkGraphics.....???

Joined awhile back....love the forums!! However, I just received this morning what can only be described as SPAM using TalkGraphics! I understood on joining that this was prohibited?
    Who would I forward this email to in order to nip this in the bud so I won't get future spam messages in this manner? Does this mean that someone has 'hacked' into my information through TalkGraphics?
    Appreciate a prompt response...this makes me really nervous!
    thanks
    janice

Default Re: Spam under the guise of TalkGraphics.....???

Hi

you are right that any member spamming another member is against the rules

at the moment your settings allow any member to email you [and these are not monitored] but you can change permissions if you wish in 'settings'

I've notified admin of this thread
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have changed my settings to 'Registered Members'.....is this all I need to do? The email 'message' was only links to several websites clearly intending for the receipent to click on....which I did not do! This is the beginning line ....."!!anderson has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Problems with Xara 3d and Win 7 Pro....need help! - in the Xara3D forum of TalkGraphics.com."

Hello,

It sounds like, as the title suggests, someone replied to a topic of yours and the system alerted you.

If that post on the board was spam, then it would have sent some of that along to you via email.

I'll drop you an email, so I can get a copy to be sure.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Janice, calm down!

Everybody subscribed to several threads also got those messages, so it's not aimed at you. It's not what anyone would want but it happens occassionally. Whenever you see such posts look under the username and you may see the word "banned", if you do not, then just press the little black triangle with an exclamation mark and then you can report the offender.

It's just something that is a feature of using the internet. Unfortunately the bad guys use it too (I've lost count of the number of lottery wins I've had).

Generally speaking the mods do a great job of banning these people and removing their posts, pretty sharpish.

All is good.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It's just something that is a feature of using the internet. Unfortunately the bad guys use it too (I've lost count of the number of lottery wins I've had).
    Incredibly, I've been the millionth visitor to about a hundred sites. I told the press, but they haven't published the story yet...
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).