Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Managing large web sites

http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook85/index.html

The workbook above shows how best to manage a large web site. The method requires that the secondary web sites are stored in folders nested inside the index.htm folder up on the Magix ftp server. As I pay for and use the Magix ftp server for my website, I need to know whether I can create the necessary nested folders using an FTP client software from my own PC? Or am I denied that facility? If that were the case then I would have to find a server host on which that is allowed.

Maybe I can achieve the same result within the Publish Website option in Web Designer 6 uploading the additional sub-folder index.htm files?

Default Re: Managing large web sites

Hello Grapher

The additional folders are not nested. But they go in the same directory as the index.html and index_theml_files folder.

But each of the other folders will have a name such as about_us and each of the other folders will contain its own index.html file and its own index_html_files folder.

So if you domain is mysite.com, your button for the About Us page will link to mysite.com/about_us

As long as you have your own user name and password and directory information from Magix I should think you should be able to upload your files via an FTP client. Try configuring Filezilla or some other FTP product (Filezilla is free so it might be the best place to start) to determine if this will work for you.

Gary,
    Something you mentioned, but not very specific, was the file name inside the additional folders. The "home page" file inside the about_us folder etc. MUST be named index.htm or index.html or else the browser won't find it automatically. If your about_us folder doesn't contain an index.htm or index.html file, the link must point to a specific file within the folder, such as about_us/aboutus.htm or whatever your pages are named. Otherwise the browser will return a list of files within the folder instead of the folder's "home" page.

Jim

Here is a screen print of my space on the Magix server showing the present structure. I want to be able to create additional web sites which to the viewer would be seamless. (as in the tutorial posted earlier). From what you have already told me I should be able to do it all in WD-6 using the menu "Publish Website" - or have I misunderstood you.

If I have to do it by manually creating folders using the FireFTP addon for Firefox then so far I have been unable to detect a menu that allows me to remotely create new folders on the Magix server.

Forgive me if all this sounds idiotic but I am a stranger to managing FTP traffic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTP.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	79640  

I don't use the Magix server, so I'm not familiar with it, but with my server if I add a folder name to the Xara Publish properties tab on the sub-folder line, a folder is created automatically. See attached. Everything on my server must go under public_html, and I have a sample folder called marlins, so I added another folder named marlins under it to see what would happen and it created the folder and uploaded to site to that folder.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture041.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	79641  

There's one sure way for me to find out Jim! I'll try it and see what happens. It is not going to be today though. Thansk for support.

Geoff