Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Unable to unlock 'sublayer'

I've run into some troubles with the building of my website in DP6.

For some reason, I'm unable to unlock a certain 'sublayer' on each of my layers. This sublayer contains the rectangle that contains each pages' content, and needs to be variable (as my pages are going to be of different lengths (due to content differences).

Now as I'm filling up the content, I'm unable to adjust these rectangles to accommodate it.

If anyone has any ideas of what's going on here, I'm all ears, and would be most appreciative!

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unlocking_itemOnLayer.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	79623

Default Re: Unable to unlock 'sublayer'

Nevermind. Computer crashed. Rebooted. Xara gave an error upon reopening the file - opened a fragment of it (with zero bitmaps in the bitmap gallery - of lots that were in it). So I shut it and try to open the original (which has somehow shrunk from ~25MB to 23kb). So the file seems to have gone and went all corrupt. *^%$^! So I go to my backups folder (which I thought cycled through backups [i.e. oldest ones delete as new ones are saved]) to find that the files are all ancient in there. I don't know what went on, but the autosave that I could have sworn was happening wasn't). Ugly.
    Well, nothing like starting over to make for more polished results.

I hate when that happens. It does not happen very often but just often enough to remind me to save my work often. Of course I always remember to do this after a crash in which I have lost a lot of work.

I have found that often you cannot unlock the layer that is selected. You need to select another layer and then unlock the other layer.

Hah! That's the emoticon I needed last night!
    I did try all kinds of combinations and cursor positions to try to unlock the layer. I suppose I'm learning Xara's nuances, and will, in the future (if I continue to use it for websites) treat these strange behaviors like I treat a cat with a twitching tail getting ready to do something potentially nasty...

I have been rebuilding the website mentioned above, and in doing so, I've come across this same issue of not being able to unlock the 'sublayer'. Well I've just found a workaround that works in the event that any of you have the same problem.

By going into 'solo mode' on the offending 'sublayer', I'm able to edit it, albeit without the help of guides and reference objects. But it's better than nothing!

Did you try selecting another layer, then clicking the lock icon on the layer you want to lock/unlock?

I tried that, along with combinations of most buttons/crls/shifts/alts/f's/etc! Solo mode seems to be my only saviour

OK My unnamed source at http://board.xara-users.info/ advises:

When this happens, right-click your page and select 'Unlock all on page'
    Works every time for me.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 01 February 2011 at 01:10 AM.

SWEET!!!!! Many thanks...