Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy no video on videos

I put 3 mp4 videos on my website. When I preview the webpage and play the videos, I get sound, but no video.

Background: I wasn't always having this problem. Today when I went to open the website to work on it, it said it was already open (which it wasn't) and gave me the option to load a copy. I opened the copy and saved it as a new file. Now the videos don't work right in that new file. I made a lot of big changes and do not want to have to revert to the old file.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Re: no video on videos

Welcome to Talkgraphics

Is it possible that your video is on a different layer? One that is not visible when the page loads? Though this is strange since you are getting sound.

Usually when Web Designer says the document is already open, it is already open. If you look at the bottom of the Window menu it will show you what documents are currently open. So this my somehow have corrupted your document.

Have you tried deleting the video altogether and then adding it fresh? If you do this make sure the video is on a visible layer.

Let us know if any of this helps or if you need more help.

Thanks for the welcome!

Well I actually had only one video when I opened the file and added 2 new ones. I also can see the box with the play symbol in the center and all the controls at the bottom, both in the editor and the preview window. When I click the play button the meter runs across the bottom and I hear sound, but no image appears.

There's no way it could have been open since I hadn't worked on it since the day before and had just turned on my computer. It was very strange. There was no icon in the task bar. I even tried rebooting. One thing I noticed is that when I went into my files to open the website to work on it the icon for the file was an image of my website (it was a picture of the last page I was editing when I used it the day before). This had always been the case. But since I opened the "copy" and saved it as a new file, the icon for the file in My Computer is the program's icon, a large W with a pen over it. I have actually re-saved the website twice in an attempt to get the videos to work and both of these new saves have the logo as the file icon. I don't know if that's significant.

I'll try deleting them and adding them again. Any other suggestions?

BTW, I have Windows 7 OS and Xara Web Designer 6.

Thanks!
    Last edited by habblie; 28 January 2011 at 08:21 PM.

Well I found that if I go to File > Import the video works. But not when I drag and drop it. I was using drag and drop before without problems. Still don't know why it's doing this. But I'm irritated that I lost several hours trying to figure it out (and that it's still not really "fixed").
    >

$#%^%$#@!!!

Drag and drop works with some MP4 files and not with others. It is enough to make one crazy (if one were not crazy already).

But you have hit the right solution.

Excellent.