Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cut and Pasting existing html page into Web Designer 6

Is it possible to cut and paste an existing html page containing .class, .jar, .gif, .png, .jpg, and applets into a Web Designer page?

Default Re: Cut and Pasting existing html page into Web Designer 6

Not if you are expecting to see the page looking as it originally did. Web designer is a HTML generator and not a HTML Editor or importer.

I don't think we need two identical threads for one question.

I realize we don't need two identical threads for one question. It took so long to post the first one I did not think it was accepted.

Now back to the question. So if I understand your answer, I cannot add my own HTML code, is this correct?

Hi Kenneth

You can add code snippets using a "placeholder" object. utilities >> web properties >> placeholder >> replace with HTML code.

For a bulk import of graphics file >> import graphics from web

In the context of the original question, you can't just load the HTML wholesale from an existing page into web designer. As Drwyd says you can add HTML code via a placeholder, but that's a very different prospect from your original question.

If you are looking for a HTML editor, web designer isn't it.

Look at the existing page, import the graphics, recreate it using web designers tools.

Thanks Drwyd, I think you answered my question, but to be sure here is a little more on the subject. If I add the code and all the appropriate files .js, .jar, .class, etc. Will an applet in the code that uses these execute correctly?

Potentially yes but the place holder facility was never designed for much more than snippets. Much can be done with these but Xara is mainly aimed at designers who don't want to deal with code. All I can suggest is that you download the trial and run a few tests.

Thanks to both of you. You may have just saved me $50, I'll know after I run a few tests.

It's always worthwhile using the trial.

I'm sure that if you have a page with a java applet you will be able to get it going in a snippet, BUT you will need to know what you are doing and understand the HTML that you have and understand how Xara handles HTML snippets in order to make a placeholder for the applet and be able to bundle the assets - so certainly not a cut and paste proposition.