Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Website Naming

Default Website Naming

I've been building a new website inside of a single Xara DP 6 document. The site is currently 26 pages in length, and I've still got a few more to add. I don't think it will go beyond 40 (and I have read about Xara's limitations with websites beyond 50 pages or so). Everything previews properly where all the links are working, although in the preview I'm unable to see if the pages are actually named "index_x", rather than, say "folio/tools".

I just finished reading the .pdf of website creation in Xara Xtreme4 that is kindly shared by Xhris here: http://xhris.digitalred.net/website%...n%20pg%201.htm

My question, is regarding section 2.3 Naming a website; where it states:

"If the entire website is designed in a single Xara document, not only can only one name be used (e.g. "index"_, but the URLs of the pages end u p being labelled as "index", ""index_2" etc."

This is obviously not what I want, as I want to have sections such as "services", "folio", "process",etc. and sub-names as well. I'm wondering if the above instruction is intended for a limitation of Xtreme4 that has been corrected by Designer Pro 6, or if it is something that I have to adjust my methodology to correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Default Re: Website Naming

Hi edm3,

Xtreme 4 does not support the same web features as Xtreme 5 or Designer 6. None of the information for Xtreme 4 web pages applies to the newer versions.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili,

I'll take that as good news!

thanks!

Hi edm3. To be honest, that tutorial is actually out of date now by two generations and so isn't really applicable to version 6. I'm currently in the process of rewriting all my tutorials and putting them online on my rebooted website. For the time being, and perhaps the best source of all in fact of my material for website making, is my set of YouTube videos. Check out my playlist entitled "Xara Website Tips and Tutorials".

...In fact, you now helped me realise that it's so out of date as to be potentially harmful. I'm going to remove it and suggest videos instead for the time being.

Hi Xhris,
    I certainly have no intent of causing you to see your older tuts as potentially harmful. Maybe for those Xara newbie keeners (me) who are seeking the more and more obscure info out, a small qualifier that it might be out of date.
    I've learned lots from your tutorials and videos, and am entirely grateful of your efforts. I just wish you'd create more of them, faster Only kidding. Your generosity is highly appreciated.
    Many Thanks!