Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Will an Associate degree help me go to graduate school for computer animation / graph

I already have a BS in computer science, but want to pursue a Masters Degree in computer animation or multimedia in a few years. Right now I'm still working and can't go to school right now. While I'm working, I'm thinking of taking a few graphics-based classes at my local community college to pursue a certificate or Associate degree in Graphics Technology.

Default Re: Will an Associate degree help me go to graduate school for computer animation / g

Hi Delmario,

It can't hurt to take the classes and it will help, not only your skills but socially and from a people networking point of view. That said, a lot of people pick up skills from online training and tutorials and advice from various product and special interest forums, so you don't always have to go to formal classes (and it can be cheaper).

I'd be inclined to have a talk to some tutors about your future plans and see what they say and also get some feedback from students if you can.

Good luck.

Paul

(this thread is probably in the wrong forum)

Default Re: Will an Associate degree help me go to graduate school for computer animation / g

thread moved
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Delmarorio View Post
    I already have a BS in computer science, but want to pursue a Masters Degree in computer animation or multimedia in a few years. Right now I'm still working and can't go to school right now. While I'm working, I'm thinking of taking a few graphics-based classes at my local community college to pursue a certificate or Associate degree in Graphics Technology.
    It depends on your own talent, and the community college itself, Delmarorio. If the course they provide is excellent, then it will certainly be a big help. There are hundreds of institutes around the world with quality courses, and they are as much a help to designers and animators as quality acting, dancing, writing and music courses are to those artists who study them. Unfortunately there are also quite a few duds, and these should be avoided. If you attend a lemon you will have to ‘unlearn’ stuff during your Master’s Degree a few years later (unless it’s an even bigger lemon).

Look at a few different schools. Inspect the work they do. There are many advertising agencies, studios, animators and graphic designers in the phone book, and you should talk to them. Ask them about their opinions about the different courses. A few may waffle on about all places being equal, and how everything is cool in the great scheme of things, blah blah. Others will give you good reasons to do this course, or that, or to avoid the same.

Good luck.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

When I was in my final year at university I heard about a company doing good things, but with no vacancies that I was aware of. I contacted them and asked if I could just go along and see what they do. They were happy to see me and show me around a bit and I returned later for a formal interview. That's how I landed my first job. Thinking about it now, I remain surprised at how receptive they were - a defence contractor that did goverment work.

You might like to try a similar tactic with local media companies, who may not offer you a job but might offer some good advice. It costs nothing to give it a go and the worse that can happen is that they say no.