Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can people become members of my site?

Hello im new to xara and web design for that matter, i am designing my website using web design 6 and was wondering if there is a way of people becoming a member of my site so when they return to buy more products they just have to login instead of keep entering there details. If this is possible is there a tutorial on this anywhere??
    Thanks and i look forward to viewing the replies.

Default Re: Can people become members of my site?

Welcome to TalkGraphics Derrick

You need something that places a cookie on the visitor's computer. Web Designer cannot do this.

However if you can find a script that adds a cookie to your visitor's computer then you can add the script to Web Designer as a "placeholder object".

Here is a link to a Google Search for Cookie Scripts. If you find something here that works, and that generates a script, then customize the script as you wish, copy the script, and select a placeholder object (a simple rectangle that you create with the Rectangle Tool), open the Website Properties > Placeholder section and paste the script into the Replace with HTML Code window.

Thank you for your reply.....so does that mean within Web designer there is nothing where customers can fill in a form and become a member so whenever they re-visit they just login?...im so confused sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by derrick1551 View Post
    does that mean within Web designer there is nothing where customers can fill in a form and become a member so whenever they re-visit they just login?
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    That is correct.
    Grrr...shame about this and i hope it does not effect my customers views on buying from my website..
    Thanks for reply...

I don't think that kind of behaviour is supplied "out of the box" by any web authoring software. It's not as straightforward to do as you imagine - after all you need to validate logins against something, stop them from having duplicated usernames and still allow them to login from differrent computers.

You will need server side scripts too - PHP probably. Xara does most of the hard work for you in building a website, but membership schemes will require a bit more skill on your part, as it would with any web authoring software I can think of.

From a usability POV, it's a common misconception that purchasing from websites should always force people to register and login. That's a poor way to deal with casual customers who just want to buy something. Regular customers? sure let them register, but don't force it on people.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I don't think that kind of behaviour is supplied "out of the box" by any web authoring software. It's not as straightforward to do as you imagine - after all you need to validate logins against something, stop them from having duplicated usernames and still allow them to login from differrent computers.

You will need server side scripts too - PHP probably. Xara does most of the hard work for you in building a website, but membership schemes will require a bit more skill on your part, as it would with any web authoring software I can think of.

From a usability POV, it's a common misconception that purchasing from websites should always force people to register and login. That's a poor way to deal with casual customers who just want to buy something. Regular customers? sure let them register, but don't force it on people.
    Nice advice and advice taking on-board.
    Thanks for the help.