Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Linking pdf, jpeg etc to Nav Bar menu won't work for me! Any ideas?

Everything works as expected when using a text link so either it is a bug with the navbar or my backup brain cell is on the fritz again.

Hi this is a bug. The path applied to a sub menu items when linking to files is incorrect thus causing a page not found (404 error) when clicking on a sub menu to load the linked file.

The fix for the problem will be included within the next release.

The next release????? Are you guys serious that you only fix bugs for a new release? These are things that should be addressed and updated as soon as discovered. Come on Xara.

Hi Briadair

It looks like you are going to have to use a work around till they fix this one. I recommend linking to the PDF as if it was another HTM page and uploading the PDF (using something like FileZilla) to the published directory afterwards.

If you export to a folder on the hard drive and drop in the PDF you will be able to preview.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdftestfolder.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	79552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdflink.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	79551  

Hi Drwyd
    Thanks for that
    Not sure what the url should be in the "link to web" box. I put the free Magix address +/pdf (ie www.myname.magix.net/public/pdf) It did reference this url when mouse-over after publishing but didn't link.
    I put the pdf file in the projects index.htm files

So it's officially a bug (and not just a dead moth on a relay, either!) I can't believe since the release date of last July no one has seen this! Wasn't this software beta-ed?

However, since I'm more graphically minded than that other stuff..html, I admit my ignorance and if yourself or other could help, I'd owe one!

If you put it into the "index_htm_files" folder the url will need to be www.myname.magix.net/public/index_htm_files/filename.pdf (absolute referencing) - you could also link to it with /index_htm_files/filename.pdf (relative referencing)

The easiest way is to put the file in the root directory (same one as index.htm) and link to it with filename.pdf as in post #14

Hep! It worked with the absolute referencing for one pdf. But would NOT with another. I've checked through two dozen times.
    A strange anomoly. Bit like light is a wave and /or a particle.
    I'll try some more tomorrow
    As you say say it's a workaround; not as good as correct code
    Cheers

Hi Drwyd (et all)
    I've been working with the instructions you gave for the "workaround" for this bug. Please to report that (when I finally understood what you were saying!) that it works fine. As per #14 & #16.

However as I said before there are still "isms" like (sometimes) you to publish proper before the preview will also show the same. Certainly will a jpeg.

So I would echo pixelpushers comments in #13.... including Come on Xara!

I've learned a bit more computing but better get back to why I bought WD6 in the first place now

Thanks Drwyd

Steve Ledger at XU made this video to demonstrate an easy workaround to deal with this (temporary) bug.

Nice one Steve works for preview, export and published.

Cheers for the link Boy