Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Linking pdf, jpeg etc to Nav Bar menu won't work for me! Any ideas?

Just started with Web Des. 6 and found this confusing issue. I've been emailing back and forth to Xara Support but they can't find the cause, only vague "Make sure that the program has full internet access and that your security software is not impinging upon it in any way" !
    Linking any Page Button or the subsiduary Menu buttons of a Nav Bar thro' "Navigation Bar Properties" dialogue box works fine except the subsiduary Menu buttons won't link to anything other than a web address. They will accept the URL path in the URL column for pdf etc but when I Preview it it just comes up with "This programme cannot display the webpage" Not much good as the main purpose of a NavBar nenu is to show pdf etc!!
    Also subsiduary Menu buttons won't accept an entry in the Tooltip column (Page buttons will)
    Any ideas please! ..eek!
    Briadair

Default Re: Linking pdf, jpeg etc to Nav Bar menu won't work for me! Any ideas?

Hi Briadair and welcome to TalkGraphics

Is it possible to have the link on a main menu button? I know this is not what you want but it might accomplish the same thing.

Hi Gary, thanks for your response. Yes I could do that but it would kinda invalidate the reason for having a sub-menu. A nice Nav Bar linking to pages and with drop down menu to reference to whatever you want. My point was that the software is meant to do this function cf Help menu, tutorial, and it seems to work for everyone else. Is it a commie plot or something! (Joke!) By the way I have installed WD6 on two machines, one running XP Home, the other Windows 7
    Also I have bought two copies of WD6, one CD and one DL. So I am a bit at a loss!.......

Hi Briadair

Do you export your site to the hard drive before previewing ? That can be one reason why you are getting that message

Also is the PDF in the same folder ?

You are right about the tool tip problem. Even on the main button the name and url fields disappear.

Hi Drwyd,
    Thanks very much for your reply.
    No I don't save to hard drive first but tried to and no diff.
    "The further you go, the less you know" the saying goes.. but also "Live and Learn" !
    It seems to me that software is MEANT to work a certain way, and the better it is the more stable and obedient it is.
    BUT there are obviously hidden influences. Guess that's why there are teccies and why I'm on this forum.
    I will try installing the programme on a third computer and report back.
    The menu thing is such a central function that without it working properly, the websites created are going to be a bit lame!
    Re the Tooltip thing. I only can't enter it into the submenu space. That you have a diff problem is a bit wierd

Hi Briadair

Can you upload a .web/.xar file that exhibits the problem. Maybe I or another forum member can spot where the problem is. Least ways we can rule out any system or software problems at your end.

Hi Drwd,
    Sorri I splashed beer on keepad a couple of dais ago and now 3 kees will work no.
    New keepad on wai.
    Please find file.
    PDF file works no
    Web address does

I'll be keen 'o know

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hmm, getting similar results, still working on it

Just tried again starting from a virgin file. The PDF was included in the index_htm_files folder but was ignored in preview and incorrectly linked to in the exported index.htm file.

If I export the page and copy the PDF to the folder, then link the drop down to the file then it works O.K. in preview and directly from the exported index.htm file BUT does not work on publish ????
    Last edited by Drwyd; 23 January 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Hi Drwyd
    On my other computer with all keys!

What you are saying is a little out of my depth now but I'm getting the gist of what you are saying in a "graphical way"
    Don't know where to find those folders
    I appreciate your effort and if you find something, I'll be most happy. Thanks.
    I'll check in tomorrow
    Cheers