Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Check This Video Out!

I thought the OP video was amusing

James, I loved your video - superb illustration of how Xara Designer can do most anything Photoshop can
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Thanks James. I think you hit the nail on the head about the focus on art in Xara. The requestors are much less obtrusive, and keyboard shortcuts make many unnecessary. Ha ha – your description of the guy with the Star Trek pocket protector sounds like my old biology teacher from decades back. I think he actually did tape his glasses up too, after a prac mishap.

Thanks beret, and thanks also to the OP whose post made me go figure out how to speed up videos.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).
    IP

Thats a very nice video, and that program seems easier, i might give it a shot. Good job though, looks better than mine =)
    IP

Thanks hdx,

Just giving you a heads up about Xara. On occasions you can use Xara to do A B C and D, and then export a bitmap to work on further in Photoshop. I often use PS’s liquify tool for instance. If Photoshop is an aircraft carrier, then think of Xara as the fleet of super hornet jets and naval helicopters you need to go with it.
    IP

Is Xara hard to learn?
    IP

Hello illusionz,

Re: "Is Xara hard to learn?"

I would say that SOME functions are not intuitive, however easy to learn. Most of the program IS very intuitive and you feel like the program swims along with you instead of working against you. Once you get used to the instant feedback of most of the tools and the joy of working in an object-oriented, non-destructive environment; you might end up using it as your first line software.

A better answer to your question of if Xara is hard to learn is to say that it is a JOY to learn.

Peace

James
    IP

Can Xara or Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended do more? Which is all around better? In your opinion.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by illusionz hdx View Post
    Is Xara hard to learn?
    Hi illusionz,

Like James, I found it a lot of fun to learn. I have met a couple of people who said it was too hard, but I think they wanted to be able to master it in one day, and they were used to very different programs. They found it hard to change their way of thinking in one day.

It’s better to relax and have some fun with it, and take it a step at a time. Fool around with one particular tool, and then another, and get used to it gradually, over some weeks or months. As you do, you’ll find it gradually takes over. In a couple of years you’ll probably use it 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by illusionz hdx View Post
    Can Xara or Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended do more? Which is all around better? In your opinion.
    If I was forced to only choose one, it would definitely be Xara. In real life though, it’s nice to have PS as well.
    IP

Hello illusionz,

Re: "Can Xara or Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended do more? Which is all around better? In your opinion."

They have a different approach. There IS a large overlap. Function for function, Photoshop probably has more... but in terms of taking what you want to do and helping you make it reality, I would vote for Xara almost every time. Additionally, Xara is just plain more fun to use and that means, even if it is WORK that you are doing, it will feel like PLAY. That "feature" has tremendous VALUE!!!

I agree with James A... try Xara and take your time with each of the tools (there are many tutorials available) and see what each does. Before you know it, you'll load it up and approach things with confidence that you have the right tool for the job.

Peace and good luck

James
    IP

Thanks for all of the information. =) I might go try it out now.
    IP