Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web Designer on a Tablet

Hi, any chance Web Designer will be ported to Android Tablets? seems like it would be very possible, and sense I am getting a new Tablet this month and would be love to be able to work on the go

Default Re: Web Designer on a Tablet

I would think, if it were, it would be for the iPad first.

Good luck with the tablet - I think once you get one you'll realise they are quite differrent to desktops or laptops.

Any particular tablet in mind?

NotionInks, ADAM tablet

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I would think, if it were, it would be for the iPad first.
    Too controlled of a market, and will have fewer tablets than Android in the long run at higher prices

I think you'd be a brave man to become an early adopter of a product that's struggled to market and come from a relatively unknown manufacturer. I hope you have at least spent some time playing at the local electronics outlets with other Android based tablets, so you can get a feel first hand for the platform and how variable the user experience can be from tablets with similar specs.

You made a comment regarding the Apple appstore and projected sales of Android tablets versus the iPad. There is strict controll of the Apple appstore by Apple and it has good and bad points from a consumer and developer perspective. It would be foolish to consider that Googles alternative model is without problems - having a sales model originally designed for supporting the sales of phone applications and some difficullty with Android apps being able to handle varying sizes of tablet screen and data collection scares from some released apps.

Ultimately, don't buy anything on spec alone - look for good user experiences (which is what we all want). This can be a problem for Android tablets but is pretty universal for the iPad.

I'll declare now that I have an iPad. As a software developer I will probably end up with and Android based device in the future too. At the moment the Android "Gold rush" behind Apple is resulting in huge variability in the quality of tablets being offered and problems in taking an operating system designed for a phone straight onto a tablet.

Yes, I know Apple have done the same thing, but they have one basic product and complete control but Google have to build something that will be used in all kinds of situations and they aren't Apple. Market share in terms of numbers isn't so important. You are only buying one tablet.

I don't see Xara products (as we know them, at least) being available on either platform. An irony is that if Xara had gone forward with a Mac port, they would have a foot already in the Apple world since the development systems and languages for Mac and iPad are essentially the same (with platform differrences). The boss of Xara has not expressed enthusiasm for the Android platform.

Lets us know how you get on. Don't expect it to replace your existing computer!

Rodney, I took some time to check out the device and I think I would think very hard about investing in this device as an early adopter.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/09...ter-right-now/

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/17...ere-its-going/

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 19 January 2011 at 07:18 PM.

Too controlled of a market, and will have fewer tablets than Android in the long run at higher prices
    I wrote an article recently for Communication Arts Magazine about Adobe Digital Publishing Suite which I also used to create two iPad apps.

I repeatedly asked my PR contact at Apple why Windows users could not be iPad developers and why the process was so difficult.

Finally she replied in the most oblique manner.

If you need the latest stats for the App Store for your story, there are more than 300,000 apps on the App Store that have been downloaded more than 7 Billion times.
    This e-mail was from last month. I read this morning that the number of downloads has exceeded 10 billion.

This answered my questions and it should answer yours.

I mentioned earlier that iPhone development system was similar to that of the Mac. Now Apple has produced an Appstore for the Mac. I wonder where that will lead in terms of Mac development? Just look at the units now being sold for Macs.

Jobs is Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Rodney, I took some time to check out the device and I think I would think very hard about investing in this device as an early adopter.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/09...ter-right-now/

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/17...ere-its-going/

Paul
    too late....

Been following the ADAM for about a year, and have one on the way, what can I say I love new tech., never liked apple much since the early days when it took "Deep Pockets" own one, actually I do like there magnetic power plug...

any way just hoping some one will do some apps like XARA, so I can atleast touch up some of my work while on the road