Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question buttons work but not when put with webpages

I’m hoping someone can help me with my site navigation buttons because I’m at a loss.

If I place my buttons on a clean white page, they work properly but on the website itself two of my buttons keep giving problems; which is why I’ve attached the whole dang xara website workfile (minus the fonts and downloads).

I’ve also included a second attachment that shows the buttons working as I want them to.

1) the home/index page button: when the home page is open, the “home” button is supposed to have a green background showing that that is the page you’re on. Every other button does this but the home button.

2) On page 5/9 (the children for life page) none of the buttons react as they should: you either can’t click on them at all or else you can activate the buttons by moving your mouse from the top of the page down towards the buttons and not from the middle of the page up which is what you normally do if you’re scrolling along a webpage.

Any ideas? Because I'm stumped.

website design:Church2.web (It's 6.45MB)
    and button design: XARAbuttonhelp.web
    Last edited by sandwitch; 16 January 2011 at 03:35 PM.

Default Re: buttons work but not when put with webpages

The bitmap with the "Children for life" text is blocking the effects. As a test, if you move it down, or move the nav bar up higher, you'll see the effects are working.

Jim

That was an embarrassingly obvious answer. You're right, as soon as I moved the bitmap my links worked perfectly. Thanks!

Do you perhaps also know why my mouseover stage for the home page isn't working but the other buttons work?

No I don't know, but if you copy/paste your nav bar from your button design page to the site home page it does work correctly.

Jim

I've tried that and it doesn't work, it still gives me the same error. I'm going to try and paste everything else onto my plain button page and see if that helps at all.

I tried several things without success, and found some very strange behavior. I wasn't able to copy/paste the entire contents from one page to another, but I could copy/paste to a new page, and the nav bar worked as it should. If it were me, instead of trying to find the problem I would start a new site and just copy all the content over. That seemed to be working OK for me.

Jim

I was starting from scratch again when I double checked my layers and I found the problem: whenever I used my "update repeating objects" option it duplicated some of the layers.
    I still haven't figured out why it did that to begin with, but after deleting the duplicated buttons and re-ordering and sorting out what went on which layer the problem was solved.
    Thank for your help!