Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: New Web Design

Hybrid View

Default Re: New Web Design

It’s amazing Solar – I can indeed scroll down, and what I saw makes the page far more complete. When I first opened the site I didn’t even think to scroll down. Looking at it again I can see why this happened. Hopefully I’m only a one in ten person regarding this – and maybe nine out of ten will scroll down, but I will explain why I think it happened anyway.

Pages that are tailor made to fit a screen often have their ingredients neatly laid out in a box formation, and along the bottom there will often be some ‘final’ elements, like contact details, email address, etc.

My screen is 1680 x 1050 and I use IE 9 beta. When looking at your page (without scrolling) I see a light grey rectangle at the bottom of the screen (below the yellow), going all the way across. It has three contact buttons (twitter, facebook and livechat) arranged neatly at the bottom of the screen. Since there are no other visual elements that look as though they continue down, I just assumed it was a complete page. The side bar (which the scroll button sits on) is a similar colour to the light grey rectangle, so it looks like it (the side bar) is a continuation of that bottom rectangle – framing the yellow around. This is probably why I didn’t notice the scroll bar.

You could make the scroll bar stand out more by darkening the light grey rectangle. Another thing might work – if you had some writing or an image on the left or right that continued down, so that it was obvious the page continued downward. You could relocate those three buttons to the bottom of the page, so they don’t give the impression the page is complete halfway up.

Just my two cents worth.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Default Re: New Web Design

I'm very much in agreement with James Allen. I scrolled down only part way then it looked like I was at the bottom of the page so I stopped there. Really beautiful designs Solar, I hope we see more from you.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.