Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default broken links when previewing website

Hello

I am new to all this website design/ publishing business although I have design experience with Coreldraw X5 and Illustrator. I know I am at the bottom of a learning curve when it comes to all the new language etc.
    At present I am trying to design a website for my business, and when I have managed that I will try to add an e shop using hopefully Prestashop.
    My current problem is that when I try to preview my site , it puts it up and I can see the index page. I can click on the second page and view it, but thats it. It is an 11 page site and when I click on the other buttons the page comes up with 'this program cannot display the web page.'
    I know that the problem is connected to the links/ settings etc and I have read quite a few of the posts here to see if someone else had a similar problem. I cannot find a similar problem/answer - although I may have missed it due to jargon etc. Has anyone got any possible solutions for me in a 'dummies' type guide to help me resolve this issue.
    I will refrain from asking my other couple of questions till I can resolve this one as I dont want to try running before I can walk!
    Any help forthcoming will be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to reading my way through as many posts as possible over the next few weeks.

Mike

Default Re: broken links when previewing website

Hi Mike - I am also new to this so my advice is basic and apologies if you've already tried this. So firstly are you using Xara Web Designer 6? If so you need to hover over the eye symbol to preview and then click on the popup button on the right which has multiple pages behind it. If that doesn't work you need to go into each page and name it. You also need a navigation bar or some buttons (both of which you can take from the design gallery, file>new>design gallery). If you use buttons left clcik on it, then right click and select web properties, go to the links section and click on the page option to link a page. Does this work?

Cheers

CJM

Default Re: broken links when previewing website

Hi CJM and thanks for replying so quickly.

I think I need to elaborate a little. I am using Web designer6. I have a navigation bar with 11 buttons on it for my 11 pages. I can go to individual pages and preview as a web page no problem them.
    Its when I go to preview the website as a whole that I have the first problem. The index page and the second page can be viewed and I can navigate between them. Its when I want to view pages 3 to 11 that I have problems. When I click on them the message this program cannot display the web page appears. When I try to publish it the Fftp password is not accepted but I will phone my hosting company in the morning with that query as I know my password is correct as I have the original email still. I am presuming as I can see the first 2 pages ok that I have done them correctly. What I need to work out is what is it that I have omitted or inputted wrongly to stop the other 8 pages showing up. As they say in Scotland, 'its beginning to nip ma heid' as I have spent ages trying to sort it without any joy. Its just unfortunate that all the people that I know who deign websites all use different web software so my free support on the end of a phone for sorting out my computer doesnt work for this issue.

Mike