Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Text Overflow

xdp6 Text Overflow

I have a client needing to add a very log text block to her site and I'm wondering if there is a way to create a text area and have the text overflow so that it becomes scrollable. Is this possible without the redundancy of adding placeholders?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Text Overflow

I don't think place-holders can be avoided for this effect.

Well in that case I will need someone to give me instructions to accomplish this feat.

Thanks

For place-holders in general look for "placeholder objects" in the help file.

The code you will need within will be along the lines of :-

Code:
    <div style="
    background-color: white; 
    font-size: 12px; 
    font-family: Arial; 
    text-align: justify; 
    padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px; 
    overflow: auto; 
    width: 100%;  
    height: 100%;
    border: 1px solid black;
    ">

------ content goes here ------

</div>
    Alternatively you can use an iframe within the place-holder. This will produce the effect of a window through which you can view another page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That works... thank you so much.

Although I do believe that this feature should be a basic feature built in to the program. I'm telling you, Xara really needs to get it together with even just the basics. The ONLY reason I'm even using Xara for this project is because of the text repel feature, otherwise it would have been created in WB 7.5. Even that little program has better text features (just not the repel.) Dang!

Placeholders ARE a basic feature of Web Designer / Designer Pro 6. That is why there's a dialogue box which has a space for html code, replace with file, etc, etc. They are infact one of the most powerful features.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I'm aware that placeholders are a basic feature of Xara, but the basic feature that I'm referring to is the ability to overflow text with a scroll without the need for a placeholder. There should be a text overflow property for:

Visible
    Hidden
    Scroll
    Auto

There are any number of features that people think "should be" integral. The properties/info bar would need an overflow! One of the beauties of the program in using placeholders is that someone can make the site as functional - or dysfunctional - as they like. A decent site, quite large, can be made without html knowledge yet html or js knowledge can still be employed.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64