Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Happy New Year - Happy New Xara Xone Tutorial - Still FREE!

Thanks for the tutorial, I think I finally found out how to use the default perspective with text and a rectangular backdrop, which is eventually deleted, to give the proper perspective to the text. I also learned much more by working through the tutorial and seeing how basic shapes can be built into some pretty amazing objects.
    I included my attempt at constructing the clock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TimeClock.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	79094  

Hi Womag.

Very nice image.

One observation: The reflection is not quite right. It seems that you've rotated the reflection image instead of skewing it.

Page 8 of the tutorial right at the bottom says, "Click twice on the bitmap to enable rotate/skew mode. Drag the left middle skew arrow upwards until the bitmap image lines up under the original."

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    You may also think that this is not a world clock if you look at the names on the dial?!
    Well, the people of the county of Cornwall in England, think that Cornwall is the whole world!
    Good one Rik.

The original was actually a world clock torch:

http://news-gadget.com/world-time-al...rch-picture-01

Gary’s was more American and yours more English. For me it would need an Oz flavour. But seriously, I’d love to ask the original designer what he was thinking putting a torch in this clock. “While I’m in the attic putting cheese in mouse traps, I will need to know what time it is in Madrid.”

Huh?
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

It actually has three LED lights that are very bright. What I don't like about this clock is that it is very easy to accidentally set the alarm which then goes off in the middle of the night and takes forever to determine where the beeping is coming from.

Womag - Rik' observation aside you did a splendid job and I am sure you learned a lot in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    What I don't like about this clock is that it is very easy to accidentally set the alarm which then goes off in the middle of the night and takes forever to determine where the beeping is coming from.
    This could explain the need for the torch part of it - to find the alarm button in the dark.

a travelling alarm clock that has a torch built in seems like a good idea to me

maybe I just visit darn uncivilised parts of the world [eg Lancashire ] where you never know if the light switch is going to work in the middle of the night...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Heh heh – well if the room’s lights won’t work you may need the torch and two mirrors when the alarm goes off in the middle of the night. Reflect the beam to locate alarm button.

I’ve seen these for between $10 and $30 online, but for those saving their pennies, there’s always Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=