Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PHP enabled servers...

Can I assume from what I've read here in numerous posts, that xara 6 only works on PHP enabled servers? The reason I ask is that I recently paid for a hosting plan with my isp, and only found out after buying the plan that the servers my plan uses are not PHP/mySQL enabled (something they 'forgot' to mention in the plan description). Thanks for any/all replies.

Default Re: PHP enabled servers...

Xara exports html/css not php so you don't need php on your server. Some users add extra functionality using placeholders and php code but it's not needed for a basic website.

Thanks for the quick reply Does that mean that if I want to have a comments section, or add a widget, I can add the code and/or widget to the page without the php etc on my server? (sorry if these questions seem inane, I'm learning as I go).

When I purchased my hosting plan, I intended to set up a blog, but when I didn't get the option to set up a blog page in the included website builder, I called tech support and they told me I would have to upgrade to a 'premium' plan with php enabled servers in order to have a blog page, hence my query here. I intend to buy xara 6, but only if I can use it to do what I want I have given up on the blog page, but would like some sort of interactivity on my site. Thanks again for your reply xtom

Widgets don't require php, if you wanted to install blog software on your own server you would need php but if it's a widget then all the server side code runs on the widgets server and all that's usually required is to copy/paste some html code into a placeholder.

And you could always get free blog space from Wordpress or others.
    And then you could either link to it from your own pages, or even run the external blog inside a big iFrame in your own Xara pages.
    No need to pay for a premium plan

Many thanks for the replies gentlemen Made a simple site a few years ago using a html editor, so no fancy bits back then...just bought xara 6, and looking forward to seeing what I can do. Thanks again for your feedback