Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Screen Size/Resolution

All:

I'm using WD6. What screen size should I be designing for? 800x600? 1024x768?

Are there contols that Xara has to detect the users screen res and adjust for it? How about third party HTML or Javascript code I could add?

I'm currently designing for 1024 but I feel confident that there are a number of people out there who must use 800x600.

Thanks,

Ron
    Last edited by RonM; 17 April 2010 at 01:41 PM.

Default Re: Screen Size/Resolution

Hi Ron,

Web Designer created pages to not detect and dynamically adjust to fit the screen size of a person viewing the web page.

Designing for 1024 x 768 is common due to many systems being sold default to that screen size. In years past the common default for new systems running Windows was 800 x 600.

You need to take into consideration vertical scroll bars which take up some space on the side of a web browser. So someone using 1024 x 768 screen would need to see a web page smaller than 1024 pixels wide, otherwise they would need to scroll horizontally to see the full width of the page.

With wide screen monitors becoming more common eventually web pages will probably need to be redesigned.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill:

Thanks for your input. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I felt 1024 x 768 was right but wasn't sure.

What about adding HTML or Javascript code? Is that worth the effort?

Thanks again.

Ron

As for adding javascript to resize your pages, don't do it if you plan on using Web Designer 5 or 6. WYSIWYG is best left to what you see on screen and not modified on the fly with code.

Ron here is a link to an article that may give you a little better information to make your decision about web page sizes.

http://webdesign.about.com/od/webdes...a/aa041607.htm
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Please note that all XWD templates have a width of around 760. They are ideal for 1024x768 screens with non-maximized browsers (no horizontal scrolling necessary).
    Last edited by Boy; 17 April 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added a word

In my experience (and indeed my stats would confirm that) whilst there are still some people out there using 800 x 600, the majority favour 1024 x 768 or above.

However, as Bill mentions, those using a screen 1024 wide will be unlikely to have 1024 pixels at their disposal. I tend to aim for 850 x 900 wide on most things I've done lately. I think that most people will survive that without a horizontal scrollbar.

Yes this is an old post, but I still wanted to comment on this. Since most people do have larger monitors, why do we have templates for Xara Web Disgner that are only 800X600, has anyone made any bigger templates?

AFAIK 960px wide is very widely used as a kind of standard resolution that works (almost) everywhere. I think it is a good size, even on my 1920px screen, as I never fill the width of it with the browser..

Yes, changing the width is very easy, I was referrning to the height of the page. The way Web Designer the footer is part of the page, would have been nice to have the main part a iframe or some other where scroll bars would go on it. Now if you put too much on a page it goes off the bottom with no way to get at it. I started with a template I liked but now I have a 10 page site, and I find 600 pixels too small. I guess I have to edit 10 pages and make them longer is all.

You don't have to edit all pages individually to adjust the page size. Go to Utilities/Options/Page Size. In the "Paper" section adjust the height and make sure that you check "All pages in document the same" at the bottom. Click "Apply". Now all pages have the new size.

The footer of the web page is most likely a 'repeating object' so if (on any page) you move it to the bottom of the page you can have the move duplicated on all pages by selecting Arrange/Update repeating objects.