Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Page width

Default Page width

I have just started to use Web Designer 6 and was disappointed to find that when I export a design from the gallery to my ftp address that the website is rather small and centred in the middle of my bowser with lots of empty space either side.

Is this simply how the software works or is there a way to force the gallery design to fill the whole page of any browser?

Many thanks

Colmac

Default Re: Page width

You'll find that the great majority of web designs - regardless of authoring software - are fixed size rather than "fluid layout". In general the reason is that it gives greater control to the designer over the visual appearance and layout. Web designer 6 only supports fixed width design, so that is why it is centered.

Don't be dissappointed by this because it is really normal practice in the web design industry. If the design is "too small", just make your page size bigger. How big is your page size now?

Oh, and welcome to TalkGraphics!

Hi and many thanks for welcome.

I have set the page width to 955 px and an example from the gallery designs can be found at

www.kevinfocus.co.uk.

Any advice on filling the page or at least make it stetch wider would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Your page width is set to 955pixels, yet the horizontal bars on your site are just 770pixels wide - so a good place to start is to make them wider.

Forget about trying to stretch the page. Some sites pretend to be wider than they are by using a single width pixel image repeated on the background. I'd go with working with what you have at the moment, first.

[edit: you also have an image of a page shadow on the site - I'd consider ditching that]

Many thanks Paul

That makes a big difference!

Just got to find out how to get rid of that shadow!

Thanks for your very helpful advice.