Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Text with Firefox

I am developing a website which has rext areas formed using the text tool.

The text is fine when viewd with IE and Opera, but it overlaps the area in Firefox.

Am I doing anything wrong or is there a problem with Firefox?

Here are screenshots in order - Firefox - IE - Opera

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index with firefox.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	78585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index with IE.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	78586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index with Opera.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	78587

Default Re: Text with Firefox

Browser settings ? (minimum font size)

That would be my first guess.

Thanks for the suggestion. That was set at "None" and changing the setting made no difference

The problem is that I have done other sites with WD6 and this issue doesn't occur. I therefore feel it is something I have done.
    Last edited by WillieN; 30 December 2010 at 09:00 AM.

The next things I would consider are :-

Browser cache not refreshing - CTRL+F5
    Non web safe font used - switch to Arial/Tahoma/Verdana
    Partial or broken upload - re-publish
    Conflict caused by code in placeholder object (if used)

Willien, I had this problem on a site a while back and seem to remember that it had to do with text I had cut/pasted from MS Word. The text had a red line under it that ran far beyond the start or the finish of the text I had pasted and when I previewed the site the text was just as you show - went into the next object. I shortened the red line - clicked on the end and moved it until the start and finish of the red line matched the length of the text and the problem was fixed.

Hope this works for you. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    The next things I would consider are :-

Browser cache not refreshing - CTRL+F5
    Non web safe font used - switch to Arial/Tahoma/Verdana
    Partial or broken upload - re-publish
    Conflict caused by code in placeholder object (if used)
    Thanks for these suggestions I have done all these. I am using Ariel anyway.

What did cure it was to select Zoom>Text only, but it caused other anomalies in the character sizing.

What IS odd is that it is only a problem with Firefox, no issues with IE Opera or chrome.

CTRL+Zero will reset all to default (CTRL+Plus and CTRL+Minus will zoom either everything or text only depending on "zoom text only" setting)

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    Willien, I had this problem on a site a while back and seem to remember that it had to do with text I had cut/pasted from MS Word. The text had a red line under it that ran far beyond the start or the finish of the text I had pasted and when I previewed the site the text was just as you show - went into the next object. I shortened the red line - clicked on the end and moved it until the start and finish of the red line matched the length of the text and the problem was fixed.

Hope this works for you. - jb
    Most of my text was copied and pasted from another source, which I pasted it into a text box which has its own limits. Much like the red line you mention. The text stilloverflows these limits in Firefox

If I paste unformatted text and then knock it into shape with return and delete keys the overflowing problem is solved.

If I type in the text from scratch using the red line as a limit the problem is still there, the text is still showing beyond the limit of the line.

Strangely enough I have several other websites also created using WD6 where this problem doesn't exist. I ddid base the website on a Xara theme, but I cannot recall which one, and it is now unregognisable from the theme.

Just another point when I go to preview in WD^ the text going beyond the borders shows up, but once I go to another page and back again it resolves itself.

I will just have to try other ways.

thanks for the suggestions
    Last edited by WillieN; 30 December 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: adding something

I would export from your source to a plain .txt file and copy from there. That will strip out any hidden formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    I would export from your source to a plain .txt file and copy from there. That will strip out any hidden formatting.
    Thanks for that suggestion, I tried it, but it made no difference. There is a WD6 dialogue which says "import unformatted text", so I guess WD6 removes the formatting.

This problem is occurring when I go to Preview.

As I mentioned before, I haven't had this issue in other projects and i tried with a brand new page and it isn't happening.

But it isn't happening in the other browsers.