Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two things

Default Re: Two things

Steve I understand when working with pencil, charcoal, etc. that you 'erase' to enter highlights. I've used the technique for more than 50 years.

I don't see how it applies to using vectors within a computer application. You don't need to erase to create highlights, you can add a highlight shape, subtract a shape to create a highlight and several other variations which can be used as easily or more so than an eraser tool. It does not seem logical to me to need or want an eraser when using vectors.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    which can be used as easily or more so than an eraser tool
    Not in real time Bill, you cannot scultp out in Designer in realtime

I was really pleased when Xara introduced live drag realtime pressure rendering for the freehand brush - and I am confident they understand this point too

for example - lets say we have an alternative brush that is the same as the freehand pressure brush but with the special function that when you draw over a selected shape then instead of a line you get an automatic subtraction of the drag path and the selected shape as you go along in realtime

this is an eraser - and lets say we could profile feathering/blur along the edges...

we have been here before you know
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve use of an appropriate colour will give you the same effect with the existing tools. Think outside the box.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Steve use of an appropriate colour will give you the same effect with the existing tools. Think outside the box.
    you cannot do this and get the realtime transparency [by subtraction] effect mentioned in post #22 - and I know you know this, because I know you know the meaning of realtime [and transparency]

and I know you know the meaning of freehand also

so I conclude you are missing the point

but do not worry - when it arrives you will not be required to use it - you can file it with the HTML you so dislike in Designer...

have a nice day
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The point is I may not even acquire an update if too many unliked features are added.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Love your site Sheff

Xara does have an eraser function as explained in this Xara Xone TIP:

When you move the cursor over a control point a small tilde (~) appears. Click and drag from any control point to any other control point.
    I found that you dont even have to move from a control point to another control point Just from one line to another.
    Thats very useful! Its sort of an ereaser but just that you cannot just erase from the inside.

It shouldn´t be that hard to make also a an ereaser as the basic functions are there with the boolean operations? No?

I also agree that a blob modeling tool as well as a real ereaser would be useful and in 50% of the cases faster when sketching than first drawing what you want to erase than making an operation on it. Xara says its the quickest program but the tools are also speed.

I hope Xara will focus more on the vector tools since the webtools are now quite cool for making nice webpages.

I have read this thread with interest and since Illy is my work tool I think I can make a comment here. Illy has had the eraser since I think CS 3 and the Blob Tool since CS 4 and I find like Steff that the Blob Tool a real bonus in your work flow it is so easy to use and it would be a great bonus to have in the Pro version. On the eraser part I am not so sure and since the Transform and Pathfinder Tools are so powerful in Illy I very rarely use it. Come on boys don't be so picky here do you not think that a few more vector tools would be an advantage to the people who are using D Pro 6 as an illustration tool for print, be helpful, because I certainly do.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Yes, but illustrator is a vector drawing program, not like Xara, a web design program that does some vector drawing. How would this feature make a website better? ;-)

I would say Xara is a graphics programme that also offers photographic and web design tools. Presently Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6 is almost twice the cost of Xara Web Designer. The graphics part of Xara has been around a lot longer too.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

James, there was a reason for the smiley!

I know the heritage of the Xara software and the evolution. I think maybe many people feel that my description is now more apt, in spirit if not fact. It was just a light-hearted comment.