Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Two things

Hybrid View

Default Re: Two things

Well, I realize that most people who use Xara don't use it as a drawing tool in the sense of drawing as you would with a pencil. And I also realize that I have been pretty much a lone voice in the woods when asking for features that would benefit mainly me. But I think Xara would have a much larger user base if it added tools with artists in mind rather than designers. There's no argument that DP6 is a fantastic design tool.

I have loathed Illustrator for many years. However recently, I find myself needing to use it more mainly because I get errors when I export PDF files which don't always translate correctly. Exporting PSD's are seemingly my only option for exporting a mix of transparent bitmaps and vector objects.

Recently, I have been using the blob/eraser brush in Illustrator because it's a more natural and faster drawing tool than what is available to me currently in DP6. I honestly don't care about the tools that I use, I use what works best for me. More often than not Xara has been my go to tool for 90% of what I have to do. That is why I continue to use it after 15 years.

But when other applications make improvements to their tools, why should I not use them if they can do what I need more efficiently? And what is wrong with wanting those tools (the features of a vector program) to be similarly implemented into my regular vector program?
    Sheff
    My Site

i'm with you

illustrator, inkscape, serif drawplus - all vector editors, all have erasers - you don't need to say any more

if someone thinks it's just about removing something you don't want, they have missed the [artistic] point..

ah well that's one of the reasons i have inkscape
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ...if someone thinks it's just about removing something you don't want, they have missed the [artistic] point..
    Steve perhaps I do not understand what you and Sheff mean by ERASE:

Definition of ERASE

transitive verb

1a : to rub or scrape out (as written, painted, or engraved letters) <erase an error>
    1b : to remove written or drawn marks from <erase a blackboard>
    1c : to remove (recorded matter) from a magnetic medium; also : to remove recorded matter from <erase a videotape>
    1d : to delete from a computer storage device <erase a file>

2a : to remove from existence or memory as if by erasing
    2b : to nullify the effect or force of
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

BTW I do use Illustrator, Serif DrawPlus, and InkScape but have not found a valid need for the eraser tool in any of them.

When using Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and other raster editors the eraser tool is most definately needed.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I believe CorelDRAW has an eraser tool as well.

If you visit Shef's website and look at his work you will find it very different from most of the typically vector work we are used to seeing. So an eraser tool makes sense for this kind of illustration. And unlike most of us, Shef is a professional illustrator (who attended one of the best art schools in the country) and who makes his living doing illustration.

I stand corrected - as the bishop said to the actress.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Great suggestions sheff, I would be happy to see similar tools in Xara.

I would also like a line width tool adjuster, a bit like Illustrator has also.

A kind of push/pull magnet deformer with variable radius and faloff effect would also be nice to tweak shapes. (I think Inkscape has something like this).

Regards,

Marc