Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two things

Default Two things

There are two things in Illustrator CS4/5 that I wish Design Pro had.

One would be the blob brush which creates shapes and adds to them. The other would be the eraser brush which deletes shapes. These brushes are tremendous powerful and really inspire me to take up using Illustrator again just for these features.

This would really benefit people who prefer to draw their shapes directly rather than creating them point by point.

I am aware that this can be done by drawing with a line(s) then converting those lines to a shape and erasing could be done by drawing another line and converting that line to a shape and then doing a boolean on the two shapes, but I would much prefer reducing the amount of steps to get the same effect.
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Two things

Love your site Sheff

Xara does have an eraser function as explained in this Xara Xone TIP:

Xara’s eraser function TIP: Many new users ask if Xara has an eraser tool. The answer is not as such. But there is a “Redraw” function that has the same effect. With a shape selected, select the Freehand and Brush Tool. When you move the cursor over a control point a small tilde (~) appears. Click and drag from any control point to any other control point. The smaller of the two shapes will be erased as shown above. Xara also has an “Eraser” function that works when drawing with the Freehand and Brush Tool. While your line is still active, hold down the Shift key and the Pencil icon flips over to the eraser side and as you move the eraser back over the line, it is erased.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tip_70.gif 
Views:	285 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	78573  

Beautifully illustrated Gary.

Sheff, here is a VIDEO showing this.

You can also erase from any point in the line as well as from control points. You can also add to the shape using the same process. In my opinion this may even be a more precise way of erasing and adding, because you are using a controlled line instead of a blobby brush. As usual, Xara were way out in front.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Illustrator raster? Xwd etc aren't. You're not going to get raster stuff - like Illustrator's eraser - in Xara. Best to think Vector with Xara and Raster with Illustrator [if you have any brain energy left after opening the thing ]
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Illustrator raster?
    From Adobe:

"What is Illustrator?
    Explore new paths with the essential vector tool.."

There's no reason the original request couldn't be implemented by Xara, though like everything else, ot's easy to ask, harder to do.

Let's assume I have drawn an object by creating a long line and converted it into a shape. Let's also assume that I want to erase a specific shape that I intend to create by drawing it and erase from the middle of the object. You can't do that in Xara without creating a second shape and applying a boolean. This existing tool in Xara, that I was already aware of is only good for modifying the edge of a shape. Illustrator's tool can modify a shape regardless of whether or not it is on the edge or in the middle. It can also combine two separate shapes by drawing a line between them and converting them into a single shape. Also, you cannot erase a line after you have let go of it. You can only erase while you are creating it.

When I erase, which is a tool of the raster domain rather than the vector one, I am thinking of the SHAPES I want to erase, not the POINTS. When painting/drawing in bitmap apps or on paper, I don't think about points, I think about shape.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QBapnb6KksM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QBapnb6KksM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

If you have Illustrator CS4/5, I invite you to try out those tools and tell me whether or not they would be a benefit to DP7. Otherwise, I will have to continue to import Illustrator objects into Xara.
    Last edited by Sheff; 29 December 2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Sheff
    My Site

we tend to get closed mindset knee-jerk reaction everytime this subject is brought up Sheff - sometimes i think it's deliberate
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
    I will have to continue to import Illustrator objects into Xara.
    There's no compulsion to import stuff from Xara just because it doesn't have the exact tool. There's always a way to do the same using Xara's own tools, even if it's not so straightforward. I think the suggestions are more "nice to have" rather than "must have".

Well, I realize that most people who use Xara don't use it as a drawing tool in the sense of drawing as you would with a pencil. And I also realize that I have been pretty much a lone voice in the woods when asking for features that would benefit mainly me. But I think Xara would have a much larger user base if it added tools with artists in mind rather than designers. There's no argument that DP6 is a fantastic design tool.

I have loathed Illustrator for many years. However recently, I find myself needing to use it more mainly because I get errors when I export PDF files which don't always translate correctly. Exporting PSD's are seemingly my only option for exporting a mix of transparent bitmaps and vector objects.

Recently, I have been using the blob/eraser brush in Illustrator because it's a more natural and faster drawing tool than what is available to me currently in DP6. I honestly don't care about the tools that I use, I use what works best for me. More often than not Xara has been my go to tool for 90% of what I have to do. That is why I continue to use it after 15 years.

But when other applications make improvements to their tools, why should I not use them if they can do what I need more efficiently? And what is wrong with wanting those tools (the features of a vector program) to be similarly implemented into my regular vector program?
    Sheff
    My Site

i'm with you

illustrator, inkscape, serif drawplus - all vector editors, all have erasers - you don't need to say any more

if someone thinks it's just about removing something you don't want, they have missed the [artistic] point..

ah well that's one of the reasons i have inkscape
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...