Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Scottish town in the snow

Below is hopefully a Flash stitched panorama of Inverbervie, Scotland covered in snow during a powercut under a full moon. Use the button controls pan and zoom.

Bigger view at:BerviePowerCut.swf
    Last edited by gdavidson; 28 December 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Graeme
    IP

Default Re: A Scottish town in the snow

Great image Graeme! Best wishes for the New Year to you and yours
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Thank you John! All the best to you for the New Year too!
    Graeme
    IP

Your town look more like an illustration. Is it real or is it a product of your creativity Graham?
    IP

Wow - nice pic gdavidson.

Are your photos for sale? You have a watermark so I imagine you must sell them somewhere.

Are those wind turbines in the top right corner, in the distance?

I notice a few houses with lights on. Did the power come back on for a while maybe near the end of your exposure, or were they just using their own generators? If so, there are quite a few generator owners. Hmm. Is this because there wasn't much wind that day?

I should have been a detective...
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).
    IP

Hi Gary and John!

I agree, there is a Christmas Card-like feel to the image Gary but it is real I think the effect may be down to the moonlight being dispersed more than usual by the snow, giving a flatter/softer kind of light.

You have a keen eye, John! Indeed there are wind turbines there - they recently were installed and I have some pics of them too, close up The power actually went off after I had completed the first pano sweep of Inverbervie with the street lights on, fortunately nailing both focus and exposure first time. The power went off after during the first 25 second exposure of the second sweep hence the houses on the immediate left appearing to have some streetlighting and power. The power then proceeded to cycle on and off and in my stunned disbelief of good fortune, I waited until the lights went out for good before completing the remaining 5 pictures to make the pano. This gave residents time to get torches, candles and generators running. Other places seemed to have emergency lighting.

I did some more pano sweeps with the power off in the hope of capturing more house lights on and to work around cars that would turn up during the long exposures and mess things up a little.

Later today, I'll try and post up the one with the power on if I can get it under 5MB.

I occasionally print and frame my pictures but haven't done so for a while due to work pressures. I'm tooled up to do large format prints (Epson 7880) and I really should do more with it. In the current economic climate in the UK, I may have to make more of my photography hobby!
    Graeme
    IP

If anyone would like to see the "lights on" version of Inverbervie before I attempt to make a flash viewer, it can be seen here
    Graeme
    IP

Oops - sorry James, I called you John in my previous reply. I shouldn't try to post at 4am when I can't sleep. My apologies.
    Graeme
    IP

No worries Graeme - and thanks for the interesting reply. Congrats on the photos - they're great.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).
    IP

Admit it Graham you were out "sledging" when you took the photo!
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP