Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: WD6 - How Does The Installation Program Know The Product Is Already Installed?

Have you looked in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall tree? That is where Windows stores information about all installed software.

You will need to look at each of those entries that are numbers between braces.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: WD6 - How Does The Installation Program Know The Product Is Already Installed?

Wait.. Wait... Hold The Front Page! I decided to try and install WD6 again. This time, and for the first time, I was given the "Repair" option. I used this and WD6 is now back in action. Wooo Hooo!

Sadly, my file is still playing silly games and ExpandXar has not been able to recover anything from the file. Well, all I can say is that at least we have some progress. That's definitely it for me this year it's 23:00 hrs here in Thailand and New Year celebrations are in full swing. My turn to go join the festivities!

Thanks again to everyone for their time & assistance with this.

Best Regards

TD

TD unless you turned off the autosave feature you can find a saved version of your file!

See the attached image.

Don't let the colour of the interface confuse you. I prefer the original UI colours rather than the dark gray that is the default.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open-backups.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	79027  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks again Soquili for all your help. Sadly, in my haste to remove all xara related files, my Xara automated backup files were no longer available. I still have the original .web file but that's the one that causes the problem upon opening.

In hindsight, I can see that by my actions I have created my own drame here. Simply renaming the offending file would have allowed me to get back into WD6 and then using a previous automated backup would have saved me a lot of rework. Well, I live and learn I suppose...

I'd still like to understand what happened to the original file, so I don't have a similar problem in the future but at least I should be able to recover more easily if it happens again.

Very Best Regards

TD

You could attach the offending .web file to a post here so we can examine it for you.

Sometimes a file that expandxar.exe cannot repair can be salvaged to some extent by opening in an older version of Xara Xtreme.

If the file is something you would not like to make publicly available, you could email it to me at bjt49 [at] hotmail.com.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili,
    my apologies for not replying to your kind offer sooner. Since my last post I simply 're-did' the work again, starting from an earlier back-up. It took a few days to catch-up but I avoided the problem this time round and have now published the work for my client.

Many Thanks Again for all your help.

Best Regards

TD

Hi Id recommend removing the program from add/remove programs rather than using an alternative tool to remove Web Designer. My suggestion is to submit a ticket to support from support.xara.com and include a link to this thread.

The support team will be able to provide a tool which will attempt to remove whatever entry is still present which is leading to the problem with reinstalling.

Thanks