Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Data Base

Default Data Base

Something that sounds easy has turned into a day long project -

If one wants a real estate site like buyowner or realtor.com in which one can either follow links from the US to individual state to city to property, that can be done with menus and links. But if one also wants to be able to have a search box/form where one can go directly to a list of properties such as: 3b/room, 2 bath, 2 car garage, etc., it must be done using a data base. Also, would like to have customers fill in a form and that go directly into the data base.

I have been told that this can be done in Dreamweaver but I have never used it so went looking on the net to find someone that handles this type program. After speaking with several people I have found that one must go outside the normal hosting companies to get this accomplished. And I have spent most of the day trying to track down a company to use to get the job done.

Any suggestions as to how to handle this to make the job the easiest for us and/or companies that can do this outside of the hosting company would be appreciated.

Tks all - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Data Base

If you're looking to create a complete realtor website from scratch, it's quite an undertaking, so you'll need some deep pockets to make a good bespoke site. There are probably "off the shelf" solutions available.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    There are probably "off the shelf" solutions available.
    For example http://www.open-realty.org/

Xufa, the link you sent me to seems like want we are looking for but there is NO contact info on the link. I went to Transparent Techs site to contact them. It is strange that they do not have telephone numbers and it would appear they will not call you.

Not sure I want to do business with a company that operates that way - really seems strange. What can you tell me about them? - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

It's a free script so I wouldn't expect them to call you and many only provide support via a forum. They do have a forum where you can ask questions:

http://support.open-realty.org/

Many hosting companies provide Fantastico, which is a few click installer for many open source and free scripts. Much easier installing that way than trying to download the script and install it that way, esp if you aren't familiar with php. Open-Reality is one of the scripts you can quickly and easily install using Fantastico.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Tks for the info, Chris - we would be purchasing the Pro version of their program - it certainly looks like what we are looking for.

They also provide hosting and a complete website design program, it seems - the word "magic" is used a couple of times - I wonder if it is the Magic that purchased Xara and if they are using Xara's program for the customer to design a site?

Take care - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

"Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

Tks Woody - I am checking them out now to see if their program will work for us.

And Chris, this Open-Realty company is something else. Not only will they not call a customer but they will not give you a # to call them. On top of that, they will not accept my gmail email address as a valid one they will do business with! I am involved in 3 businesses and have used my gmail address for over 10 years - have no intention of changing or fooling with multiple addresses.

What kind of people are they? Would you expect a customer that is looking for something as important as database management to just send you money based upon your nice website and your not accepting their email address? Are these people based in Nigeria?

It appears they are "partners" of Transparent Technologies - do you know how to contact any other "partners" that might be a little more creditable and customer friendly? - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

I don't know anything about the company, but, I do know the script has been around for quite a while and seems to be fairly popular. It's not uncommon for some places not to accept a free email address. It keeps fraud down.

It looks like the domain is registered to a Pennsylvania company, which looks to be Transparent Technologies, so the same people that provide the paid support own the domain. Since they have been around for so long, the script is popular, the domain was first registered by them in 2002, I think they are a safe company to do business with. Personally, I would try them if I had the need for the script/service, but, I can't guarantee anything.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Tks, Chris -

Yeah, it seems like it would do what we want but somehow the whole experience with them has left a bad taste in my mouth - I just don't like me, the customer, being dictated to by a salesman of a company wanting my money. Maybe we just got off on the wrong foot.

In the numerous emails we have sent back and forth, the "fraud" think is something he brought up. But it does not make sense to me - IF I was intent on pulling some type fraud I would certainly be smart enough to be able to supply them with a "non-free" email address that would satisfy them. I have email addresses set up on my company site for several employees but have not - and do not intend - to set one up for myself. Even with forwarding, I see no reason to have more than one email address.

If the address of my choice isn't good enough for them then there is always someone that will accept my money elsewhere.

Do appreciate the help, however. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com