Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Can you tell me what it takes to actually build a web site using Xara X? I design graphics in Xara and export them to frontpage. I'd like to be able to design the entire site in Xara and export to the web from there or via ftp. I'd really appreciate some help in this area. I've taken the Xara tutorial, but I feel like I am missing something. Please help!

XaraX is a graphics tool, not a web site building tool. You need a hammer, XaraX is a spanner. You cannot create the whole site in XaraX - you need to keep using XaraX with Frontpage.

For other people ... What I use XaraX for is first to create page mockups. Then when the design (the 'look and feel') is settled on, I use XaraX to create the graphical pieces - logos, areas of non-flat colour, menus etc. Once the vector versions are finished you have to export them - typically as GIFs and JPGs. But the Xara files remain as the master for when you want to change them.

I then build the site in Dreamweaver - dipping into a text editor as necessary - creating links to the GIFs and JPGs.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

You can create a template for your site in Xara using the image slicing features. I do all of my web site graphic and initial layout design in Xara X. Then I slice and dice to create the template file that I use for the website. I sometimes have to modify the template and the graphics to allow the page to grow vertically as content is added without skewing the graphics.

That is about the most you can do with Xara - other than of course making custom rollover menus too!

I still use FrontPage for everything else.

Good Luck!!!!

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Randy Allen
    "Wherever you go, there you are."
    Randy Allen

Randy Allen Photography