Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Upload time

Default Upload time

Xara needs to do something about the length of time it takes to upload. The 'Re-publish on changed files only' check off option only works within the same session. If you make changes the next time you start Web Designer, it uploads the entire site again. There should be an option to publish the selected page you are on and have made changes to. I changed a few words on one of my pages (text only) and it took over a half hour to upload the entire site again. (no it's not my internet speed or the hosting site or my computer). Just a suggestion for Xara developers.

Default Re: Upload time

The republish changed files only option should work across sessions as long as you keep the local copy of the site you have exported and re-export over the top of it (and also you don't remove the special index file from the FTP server). If you simply change some text on one page then the upload should only send the new .htm page to the server. All of the graphics and other stuff should be identical and not be uploaded. If you have an example file that behaves differently (e.g. you load the file and publish it, then quit, load the file again, do a simple edit and republish) then could you please submit a support ticket at xara.com so we can take a look.

Gerry

Gerry - What is the special index file? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryI View Post
    The republish changed files only option should work across sessions as long as you keep the local copy of the site you have exported and re-export over the top of it

Gerry
    Thank you Gerry.

But I don't know what you mean about "keeping the local copy of the site you have exported and re-export over the top of it". Also I don't use the index file. My main site http://godisareality.com is the home page and the index file is directed to go to that via my htaccess file from my hosting service. Even when I do make changes within the same session, there is still a lot of time with the "Converting document", then "preparing to export", then "exporting", then "prepaing to publish" etc. All I'm saying is I came from using another software package and any changes to a page was less than a minute total time regardless of the use of the index page or what your referring to above.

When the "publish changed files only" is set then the program also uploads a plain text file that contains a a checksum value for every file in the web site. When the next publish is done this file is downloaded from the FTP server and the checksums of the locally exported files are compared with the values in the file and if a file's checksum has not changed then it is not uploaded.

When you first select to publish (or just export) your site the program prompts you for a location on your local hard disk to put the files for the web site. You should leave this locally exported copy alone (I would recommend creating a folder alongside your .web file and export into that). Then, when you reload the document in a new session and do a publish then select the same location as last time.

The export process can be quite slow for more complex sites and this is an area that we are always looking to improve. The actual time taken to upload the files should not be very much more than any other FTP client.

Gerry