Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default set origin position button

How about having the 'Set Origin Position' button cluster highlight in some way the current origin choice. Never really understood why it would not do this - there is no visual feedback on what choice you've set.

Default Re: set origin position button

If you click twice on an object to enable rotate/skew mode, the center of rotation changes as you click the tiny buttons on the Set Origin Position icon. See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gary, I didn't realise that. However the situation I'm using it in is when enlarging an object by entering values in the W and H boxes and setting the origin to control which side 'grows'. So I'm not in stretch/skew mode at that point.

Though you could be. You can enlarge and reduce in rotate/skew mode.

I see your point gpholman - the 'set origin position' doesn't light up the part where the object's origin is, while you're entering the size values. On the other hand, you must have selected the object by clicking it once, to give it the new size values. If you clicked it twice, you can still give it the new values, and will see the origin position at the same time, on the object itself, even in wireframe mode.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

It would be veeeery nice if it could be used for setting the origin position for moving (not just rotating) the object(s).

Hi Peter,

How would the origin position affect the moving of an object? Rotation varies according to the origin, but movement does not that I can see.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili,

Let say, when clicked on the upper left square on the "set origin position" and you put in "X = 250" and in "Y = 100" then the object is moved to the new location with its upper left corner positioned at 250, 100.

Thanks Peter. That would never have occured to me because I never move things using the Infobar.

I also never draw using specific sizes, everything is done by eyeball measurements only. Just like drawing with pencil and paper, at least for me.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Also if the last used origin point was remembered for each object that would be great, so if you set a rectangles origin point to the top left it remembers that the next time you select it. And a default setting or something so when you create new rectangles their origin defaults to top left. 90% of the time I find I need the origin of a rectangle in the top left rather than the center.