Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: My first website I got money for

Quote Originally Posted by scruffy.thedog View Post
    very nice and clean looking easy to navigate. the only niggle i have is on services the bullet points uses a 'left handed tick' to me it looks a little umweildy but may be i am left predjudice ..perhaps use one of your drop graphics or a small tap....speaking of which like the crown on the top

scruffy
    I think you're right about the bullet points. The thing is, my customer wanted ticks and I haven't tried to change his mind.

Yes, the ticks look as though they are reversed. The long edge should be on the right. Perhaps a ticked box would even be better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ticks.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	78382  

Really Great Work.. I'm going to have to start using the animation alot more often..

Graphically elegant design, an attractive website. However, the text is horrible. I assume this was provided by the client. Take this quote for instance :

Royal Plumbing has being the name to trust for quality service in Sacramento area and all of its surrounding suburbs. With superior knowledge and well-trained by the best companies in Sacramento; Royal Plumbing Company is entirely committed, to provide timely and unrivaled service, that will meet and exceed your expectations. We keep an up-front, clear and fair pricing policy, on most of our work. If plumbing permit is needed, we obtain it for the customers
    The following quote is especially humorous :

We keep an up-front, clear and fair pricing policy, on most of our work
    This suggests that some of his quotes are outrageously unfair and extortionate!

The site needs to be completely proof-read by a native English speaker to correct all of its many grammatical and spelling errors. And some sentences simply don't make sense. Remember, a nice site to look at is not enough. If the content contains glaring errors, it is a subliminal message to the potential customer that his work may be nice to look at but will contain the same glaring errors. Tidy that up and you have yourself a good, competent site.

What I think is cool about this site is that it's called Royal Plumbing. As far as I am aware, if you were in the UK you would not be allowed to register and use that domain name. That's the benefit of living in a republic!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi,

Thumbs up for you work !

Does the background autostrech ? Depending on the pixels or resolution ? How did you manage to do that. Look great !

Kind regards,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by floater View Post
    Does the background autostrech ?
    The background uses a repeated image that will always fill the browser window, the main content is centred.

Look at the page source - you can see the CSS style used.

Paul

beretgascon,

I think you are entirely correct. Simple errors left in a website gives a subliminal that some errors (in the work being done) are also to be expected.

Additionally, there are common grammar errors. "...Royal Plumbing Company is entirely committed, to provide timely and unrivaled service, that will meet and exceed your expectations." (It should not have commas as it is a phrase with no pauses or structural need for any.) "...Royal Plumbing Company is entirely committed to provide timely and unriveled service that will meet and exceed your expectations."

That being said, I often notice grammatical or usage errors even on sites like CNN. One would expect the news to be proofread and corrected.

Peace

James

Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post
    One would expect the news to be proofread and corrected.
    You would, but we're all human and they have a lot of changing content, so the pressure is on.

sanoff,

Like the site mate. Quick question though how did you make that scroller at the top, where the user has control? and is there a way to do that automatically?

I would think it looked more professional, as I want to apply this technique to my 1st business website (starting June 2011)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by floater View Post
    Hi,

Thumbs up for you work !

Does the background autostrech ? Depending on the pixels or resolution ? How did you manage to do that. Look great !

Kind regards,

Ben

Ben, I think you can get the autostretch as a tweak. I downloaded the tweak set from covoxar for DP6 and one of the things which came with it is an auto-stretch which alters the site size to suit the viewers screen. Very useful tool and will maintain a professionalism about your site.

Hope this helps