Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can my Xara site be published through FileZilla?

The tech at our company is saying this about our hosting:

"First, I have set up your FileZilla to have FTP Access to the /HTDOCS directory. This is the folder where the site pages are held. ALL of the current Pages are written in PHP which is faster than HTML.

The last time I spoke with Web Support these were the two supported languages for the server that the site is on. You need to have the first page named Index.php as this is how DNS routes and links to the main page. Then any corresponding pages have to be linked back to this page."

I don't have the slightest idea what I'm supposed to do or if Xara can even work like this. I've published a site before the way Xara is set up to publish and it worked fine but with our company's website hosting it's different. I'm lost on what to do. Any help would be great and if there is a way of doing it his way...I need dummy instructions on how to do it. It seems to me that this is an unnecessary way to publish our site.

Default Re: Can my Xara site be published through FileZilla?

The FTP details that have been put into filezilla need to be entered into Xara. Then you can just design and publish straight from xara. You shouldn't need to use filezilla at all unless you need to remove or rename a conflicting index file.

Thanks for the response. I'm getting the royal run around with all this stuff. I tried to retrieve the info from File Zilla but it's not liking the FTP password. The characters are hidden on File Zilla but my guess is what it should be. Comcast is telling me Network Solutions has our hosting, Network Solutions is telling me it's Comcast that has our hosting. So I'm not having a good time. Ger.

Hi James,

Quote Originally Posted by James_D View Post
    The tech at our company is saying this about our hosting:

"First, I have set up your FileZilla to have FTP Access to the /HTDOCS directory. This is the folder where the site pages are held. ALL of the current Pages are written in PHP which is faster than HTML.
    This is simply untrue. PHP requires that both a web server (Apache, IIS, etc) and PHP are running. HTML only requires that a web server is running. However, if your pages actually don't include any PHP code there is no need whatsoever to rename your pages with a PHP extension.

"The last time I spoke with Web Support these were the two supported languages for the server that the site is on. You need to have the first page named Index.php as this is how DNS routes and links to the main page. Then any corresponding pages have to be linked back to this page."
    Another mistake. Simply name the home page of your website "index.htm" (or "index.html"), making sure to respect lower case (not capitalised, as he has noted).

I don't have the slightest idea what I'm supposed to do or if Xara can even work like this. I've published a site before the way Xara is set up to publish and it worked fine but with our company's website hosting it's different. I'm lost on what to do. Any help would be great and if there is a way of doing it his way...I need dummy instructions on how to do it. It seems to me that this is an unnecessary way to publish our site.
    You're right - it's all unnecessary in a home or SOHO environment, but I.T. departments have internet and firewall policies that they have to respect, so granting you access to FTP via Xara is not something they are in a position to do (I'd be surprised if they even knew how).

All you have to do in Filezilla is navigate in the left-hand pane to the folder where Xara has saved your website (search for the file index.htm and the folder index_htm_files). The I.T. guru has already said that your access on the company web server is restricted to the HTDOCS directory so there's no navigating for you to do in the right-hand pane. Once you're in the folder where your index.htm is stored, select all the files in there that you want to upload, right-click and click "Upload". Filezilla will do the rest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip0001.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	78290
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I'm still having issues. Here is a screen shot of what I see. It only shows my htm folder with the files. The page files are named Home...ect for the page file names. Should I not have done that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen shot.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	78291  

If you've exported the site correctly the individual pages of your site will be in the Northeast Medical Website Folder. Expand that folder, select every file, right click and upload the files to the HTDOCS folder. If you just right click on the folder itself and upload it you will get a folder on the server inside the HTDOCS folder, which is not what you want. You need the main pages of your site in the HTDOCS folder.

Then right click on the Home_htm_files folder and upload it. This folder contains the supporting Xara files (images etc.) and will be uploaded as a sub-folder under the HTDOCS folder.

As an aside once you get things going create a "Live Website Backup" folder on your computer and download the HTDOCS folder (sub folders etc.). This is a good practice and will give you a backup in case you step on any files on the live site.

Network Solutions uses htdocs as a sub folder. There might be another folder in the htdocs subfolder into which you need to publish your pages.

I have a web hosting account with Network Solutions and have about 25 sites I manage in this account. So if I am publishing to my own website then I have to publish to htdocs/gwpriester/

Also, I would recommend exporting your site as index.html and not home.htm. If the browser finds a file index.htm or index.html it automatically loads it. If your home page is titled, home.htm or home.html then you need to use that URL to get to the home page.

So if your website is www.Northwestmedical.com, and your home page is not entitled index.htm or index.html then you need to use www.Northwestmedical.com/home.htm.

Does this help?

Thanks for the responses fellas. Not to get too personal but our tech doesn't want me being the one doing the website since he's not been actively doing anything with it in a few years so it's almost like he's been trying to make it extra hard for me.

What I ended up doing was renaming the extensions to ".php" and uploaded the site and it worked. Although, it will not let me have page names so I got rid of all page names which stinks, but it wouldn't export until I took those out. So it says index_1 and so forth for every page.

The pages as they are, aren't recognized in file zilla with the .htm extension. Once I renamed them to .php it was recognized but I don't like that I had to do it that way. Something is still fishy, and he still won't tell me who actually hosts our site to be able to troubleshoot with them.

.........and he still won't tell me who actually hosts our site to be able to troubleshoot with them.
    whois will give you this information.

For example running a whois query on talkgraphics.com will reveal the DNS details

Domain servers in listed order:
    DNS4.XARA.COM
    DNS3.XARA.COM
    DNS2.XARA.COM
    DNS1.XARA.COM
    This shows the host is 'xara.com'

But that does not show that Xara.com is actually hosted on MAGIX's servers in Berlin.

C:\Users\btaylor>tracert www.xara.com

Tracing route to www.xara.com [195.214.219.206]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms 72-22-112-1.static.nctc.com [72.22.112.1]
    3 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms bg-6509-vlan38.serial.blue.net [66.38.60.249]
    4 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 63-234-116-89.dia.static.qwest.net [63.234.116.8
    9]
    5 107 ms 107 ms 107 ms ldn-core-01.inet.qwest.net [67.14.1.234]
    6 108 ms 107 ms 108 ms ldn-brdr-01.inet.qwest.net [65.120.24.38]
    7 107 ms 107 ms 106 ms ge-0-2-0-0.lonth-inter-2.interoute.net [195.66.2
    26.53]
    8 130 ms 130 ms 130 ms ae1-0.ams-koo-score-1-re0.interoute.net [84.233.
    190.57]
    9 116 ms 116 ms 117 ms ae0-0.ams-koo-score-2-re0.interoute.net [84.233.
    190.2]
    10 129 ms 129 ms 129 ms ae1-0.ber-alb-score-1-re0.interoute.net [84.233.
    190.22]
    11 129 ms 128 ms 128 ms line1.magix.net [89.202.163.174]
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 129 ms 129 ms 130 ms pc-206.net-219.de.magix.net [195.214.219.206]

Trace complete.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update