Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xara and mySQL?

Default Xara and mySQL?

I have purchased Xara Webdesigner 6 a few months ago and are just getting used to it.
    I now find that I keep using the same page layout and all I do is change the text on each page.

Xara does not know the concept of a master page, so you have to keep updating repeating objects and copying pages.

Is it possible to somehow link Xara to a mySQL database, so that all I need to do is save the text and page name in the database?

Default Re: Xara and mySQL?

How many pages?

10 at present, but my web site will be an informational web site with three fixed panes, depending on selection from an index in Left page, text will change in middle and right panes. I expect to reach 200-400 pages when all done. This will then expand over time.
    Have I purchased the wrong tool, for the job? Some one told me to look at Wordpress but that looks complicated.

200-400 pages? I would say that you have the wrong tool for the job.

If you are going to build large websites, you will need more sophistication in your approach than building a ten page website and be prepared for some extra organisational complexity.

Ok, thank you for that.
    So are you suggesting I would be better off putting the effort into Wordpress?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Ok, thank you for that.
    So are you suggesting I would be better off putting the effort into Wordpress?
    I'm suggesting that you don't try and build 400 page websites using Xara. Wordpress is a popular CMS based choice and may well suit what you are trying to do. There are other CMS based systems out there that may do the job just as well.

I'm not intending to give definitive advice on the basis of a very sketchy description that oversimplifies the inevitable complexity that comes with 400 pages - such as navigation hierarchies and searching, etc. It's rather more complicated than just changing text on 400 pages.

Smile Re: Xara and mySQL?

I may still decide to stick with Xara as I don't think I will have any issues with navigation and searching. I am more worried about consistent look of each page and in Xara accidentially moving a heading or forgetting to update repeating objects may be an issue.

So, I take your point and will have a more in dept look into WordPress.
    Thanks you very much for your comments.

OK, good luck. Keep us posted!

Welcome to TalkGraphics Pegasus

I agree with pauland. Xara is better suited to smaller websites.

If your site is mostly text you may be OK but it just gets very unwieldy.

You can create a master page but it is a work around. Set up a page with every repeating object that you need. Then make as many duplicates of that page as you need to.

Another work around is do the same thing, but only create two or three pages. Keep the last page as is and duplicate it each time you need to add a new page.

You could create your master page and save it as a template(.xar) and make it available in the designs gallery. Then you can just drag and drop it onto your new pages as you need them.