Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Keeping correct page links after changing page order?

Hi all,

I've just been advised (i'm at work) that the links on my site have been thrown out of order. This must have happened after I copied an existing page then using the layers gallery I then dragged the new page up the list so that it makes it easier to work on.

My site is www.tobyh.myzen.co.uk - the nav bar links under the galleries are ok for the birds galleries but as it was the bird gallery 3 that I moved, everything underneath there is now out of order.

Is there a way to stop this happening please? at the moment with not so many pages it won't be too hard to redo the Navbar for them but as my site grows it'll be more of a pain.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

TobyH

Default Re: Keeping correct page links after changing page order?

I'm a new user but I'm hoping I can help or at least examine the problem further.

I suspect you have linked by page number...so therefore if the page order changes so to will the links.

What I do is before starting to build the navbar links I name each page and link to the name of the page rather than the number of it. The good things about this system is the upfront work of naming all the pages is time saved later on re-linking if based on page numbers should things change in the future.

Hope that helps

Toby you always need to add new pages to the bottom of the layer gallery only - just move the last new page added to the bottom and re do the nav bars it will work fine. Its annoying that you cannot add pages higher up into the layer gallery where it makes sense for you in relation to other pages but that is a quirk of the nav bars they 'remember the page number' not the page name which would make more sense.

scruffy

Just double click on the Navigation bar and relink the pages.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffy.thedog View Post
    Toby you always need to add new pages to the bottom of the layer gallery only - just move the last new page added to the bottom and re do the nav bars it will work fine. Its annoying that you cannot add pages higher up into the layer gallery where it makes sense for you in relation to other pages but that is a quirk of the nav bars they 'remember the page number' not the page name which would make more sense.

scruffy
    Thanks Scruffy,

That's exactly what's happening - was just hoping there was a more convenient way of ordering them and keeping my links correct - seems not then.

Thanks all.