Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default xar file problem - possibly corrupt

A new problem for me. I have a website with 36+ pages in one xar file. I was updating the site last night and the program kept stalling and going into think mode then making the change I wanted. It was very frustrating. I have a fast computer with lots of memory and disk space.
    I saved the xar file and transferred it to my laptop and the same thing was happening, slow hesitant, make one change and it went off to think. The backup I have is a month old and with an awful lots of changes to be made to bring it up-to-date.

Is there anyway a XAR file or the files produced in Designer Pro 6 be checked for consistency?

Any thoughts anyone?

Best regards

Mike

Default Re: xar file problem - possibly corrupt

Mike you did not list your product when you registered so I am not sure what product you are using.

If you have either of the 6 versions, WD6 or DP6, go to the File > Open Recent and down at the very bottom is Backups...

Unless you turned this feature off you should have quite a few backups.

See if any of these are working any better.

There is a free utility expandxar on the Xara Xone Shareware Page. It is right under the red title All is not lost. If you can make a duplicate copy of your bad file and give it a new name or copy the existing file to a new folder on your desk, you can try running this utility and see where you net out.

Expandxar was meant for files that won't open but it just might recover most of your current file.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Mike you did not list your product when you registered so I am not sure what product you are using.

If you have either of the 6 versions, WD6 or DP6, go to the File > Open Recent and down at the very bottom is Backups...

Unless you turned this feature off you should have quite a few backups.

See if any of these are working any better.

There is a free utility expandxar on the Xara Xone Shareware Page. It is right under the red title All is not lost. If you can make a duplicate copy of your bad file and give it a new name or copy the existing file to a new folder on your desk, you can try running this utility and see where you net out.

Expandxar was meant for files that won't open but it just might recover most of your current file.

Good luck.
    Hi Gary
    Sorry its Designer Pro 6 - I didnt know there was a backup facility like that. I thought it was a backup of the last change you made in the program. Thanks I will try both methods tonight and let you know.

Do you know when these backups are taken, are they when you save or close the program or are they saved when you see the automated backup happening?

I just put your location into Google and smiled, its along way from Northern Ireland :-)

Thanks again
    Mike
    Last edited by mickymac; 01 December 2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: addition

Hi Gary

Tried the expandxar and it did work all be it slightly. The simplest way was to use the backup file - thanks for that piece of info, it really helped.

Mike