Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting as EPS or AI

I want to upload some graphics to a stock image site. One of the requirements is:

To ensure maximum compatibility, please save your vectors for a lower Illustrator version (for example: Illustrator 10).

When I choose export and then EPS as the file type, it just exports without the usual choices found in PNG or JPEG. Is there a way to open up some kind of specifications box?

thank you,

Liora

Default Re: Exporting as EPS or AI

Try opening the file in NotePad. You should be able to read the creating version.

Rich

Liora

Is it possible to export a PDF file? PDF is one of two default file types native to Illustrator and can generally be opened and edited in Illustrator.

The stock sites require EPS for the vector format.

Interesting point ... open a recent AI file in Notepad and you'll see "PDF". .ai files appear to be PDF internally now and the native format is always PDF in recent versions.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

you could try saving it as versiion 10 ai

then opening this and exporting as eps without any further changes

in theory that should filter out anything later than version 10..... I reckon that is what is meant here
    Last edited by handrawn; 27 November 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@handrawn - Where is that option in Xara? I do not have AI. I need to be able to export within Xara to no later than AI v 10. It appears any specification about what version of AI is not an option within Xara...at least I can't find it yet.

Yes, they require .eps or .ai. The good news is since I first posted and exported to .ai, they didn't reject the file. Still, for more to be able to use it, I'd really like to know what version the export is compatible with.

Thanks for your replies, All.

Legacy 8 is the version of the .ai file. The EPS filter has not seen any advances in years and I honestly can't remember the PostScript version in the eps filter you might want to do a search of this site for it as their has been this problem before. The reason that these internet based companies ask for .eps is for the text transfer in your files as they don't have to have the font that you used transferred with it or on their hard disc or have any problems if you have turned your text to shapes.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Liora

Many of us have Illustrator and if you would like we can pass your file through the "Illustrator Filter" to make it a real Illustrator file at whatever version you require.

Yes no problem there just gives us a PM.
    Design is thinking made visual.