Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to get rid of the "Ugly grey outline on export" problem FOREVER?

Sorry, but recently, it seems to be completely impossible to get an exported image NOT to have an ugly grey outline around it.

Yes, I know, it needs to be on the grid, and yes, I know, it needs to be at a position without decimal digits, blablabla, yes, it STILL almost ALWAYS has a grey outline on export no matter what I do and no matter what I choose.

This needs to be fixed once and forever. I keep having Gimp open all the time and re-crop the exported images to remove the damn 1 pixel outline.

Why doesn't Xara just do that itself???
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Default Re: How to get rid of the "Ugly grey outline on export" problem FOREVER?

Can you give us a bit more detail on what you are doing? If you are exporting something that is an exact number of pixels in size then you should definitely be able to get a bitmap export without any trace of antialiased border. If you can provide an example file that always gives you a border whatever export options you select then we can have a look and tell you where the problem lies...

Gerry

Default Re: How to get rid of the "Ugly grey outline on export" problem FOREVER?

I sometimes get a pixel border of some kind on export (particularly with GIF bitmaps). It's usually related to the background colour behind the object that you are exporting at the time. Therefore if your object is sitting on a grey background at the time of export, then any stray pixels around the edges will be grey.

Either make the background colour the same as the object colour before exporting, or (particularly in the case of web images) make the background colour the same as the background colour of the webpage or image where the exported object is to be placed.

AFAIK, gif exporting always anti-aliases to the background color. That's the nature of the beast. Png doesn't.

Also, it's not just the position, the size of image/object itself has to be in whole numbers.

Are you using a template based on pixel units? That often takes care of it for me, although it does get annoying when I'm working at tiny sizes and individual components of the object jump out of place because they're fractionally placed.

I just placed a yellow vector square against a larger grey vector square and exported it as a gif and jpeg, and they both had grey lines around them. When I did the same against a white square and the white page, neither came back with white edges, so I guess white is exempt.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

I create True Color 300dpi PNG file for my repeating patterns for stereograms and it is critical that they not have any outline. I have found that even at this resolution, I frequently have a slight outline that appears in the final stereogram.

This happens even when I meticulously manage the size and location of the panel.

But if I add a rectangle the same color or a color close to that of the panel pattern that the outline goes away.

I create True Color 300dpi PNG file for my repeating patterns for stereograms and it is critical that they not have any outline. I have found that even at this resolution, I frequently have a slight outline that appears in the final stereogram.

This happens even when I meticulously manage the size and location of the panel.

But if I add a rectangle the same color or a color close to that of the panel pattern that the outline goes away.