Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WD6 My site loads oddly

I am having bit of trouble with my web site www.smartwolf.co.uk

If I go to google and press a link, there is a bit of a wait and then it takes me to the page which completly loaded - when you go to my site, it builds the page in front of you, which makes it look a bit slow.

Any ideas

Thanks

Chris

PS I am using wd6

Default Re: My site loads oddly

Hello Chris

I'm afraid this is the way Xara loads a page. There might be a tweak or script that forces all of the objects to load before the page displays.

I'm in the US and your page took a long time to load. I wonder if part of the problem might be the speed of your host's servers?

Takes an age here in the UK too. I wonder whether it has something to do with the videos starting automatically? Perhaps other images need to be optimised.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Hi smith33122,

It took about one second to load the page here in Australia. I saw the different elements loading - 1, 2, 3, wham. One second. It wasn't a problem for me at all. My only comment (hope you don't mind) is that I would prefer options to turn on videos and sound, rather than just have them start immediately.

Anyway, the page looks good and loads fast.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Chris, I called back to check that site again, and this time it took about five seconds to load. I think John is right. After all, it is common for videos to take a while to load, and yours is doing it from the time we try to open the page.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Hi Guy's
    Thanks for your help - I think the first time I wanted to load the site. there was a problem with the hosting service as the site whilst not as fast as I would like is OK.

I think what I am going to do id the video on the first page they will have to click to play and keep the second video on auto play.

Thanks

Chris

just checked and it took less than 1/2 a second to load, video came up quite fast as well, I'm in the UK. Nice site by the way

Kash

Chris - I find the video extremely annoying, but I am not your market. And perhaps for your market it is appropriate. It might be better to have the video load with the volume at half instead of full volume. To me it is very jarring.

As the tone and manner of the video is conversational, it probably should start when the page opens. The speaker is welcoming your visitors. And there is not a lot you can do to reduce the load time for the rest of the site.

Maybe you could have a loading page that stays on for a few moments while the video cues. I'm sure John will have a link for how to create this.

Thank you Gary. Yes, I can use Google Put this in the head:-

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.yourdomain.com/index.html">

Where 0 is the amount of time in seconds before the page redirects
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

And, how do I get this into my web page, John???