Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Red face best way to create pdfs for large signs

hi guys
    is there anyone else out there who uses xara xtreme to design and print large graphics for signs, vehicle liveries etc??

currently, i find that the maximum page size will not allow me to create signs wider than 2.92 metres, so the way i have been getting around this is to export the pdfs at 50% (sometimes even 25%) and then scale up when it comes to printing

is there a better way to do this? also, excuse my ignorance, but are pdfs scaleable like vectors (without losing quality)?

i've been 'getting by' this way but i get violation/ error messages sometimes when exporting larger pdfs. can anyone help me be more efficient?

thanks!
    'I'm comin to you now, I'm just around the corner!'
    Bespoke art and design by Herbie Hysteria. http://www.artbyherbie.com

Default Re: best way to create pdfs for large signs

If all of the objects in your drawing are vectors, and the options are set properly, the objects in the PDF will all be vectors as well. However, this precludes some fancier tricks (anything that involves creating a bitmap copy of an object, for example).

-- Ben

Ben is correct. Use vector objects and text for your signs and they will scale up and down without any loss of sharpness.

If you need to add a drop shadow, make it the old fashioned way, with a vector blend. And if you have to include a photo then use a resolution with scales to your printed resolution.

gw - dropshadows have sometimes given pdf export problems too, when i use the shadow tool so i will try your suggestion

ad - vectors are always ok (as opposed to bitmaps), but i find adding bevels to text and dropshadows dont always print correctly

thanks guys
    'I'm comin to you now, I'm just around the corner!'
    Bespoke art and design by Herbie Hysteria. http://www.artbyherbie.com