Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default (WD6) Nav Bar and buttons on Ipad need double tap to work

First, I'm sorry for my bad english. I tried to find any answer searching the forum, without any apparent result.

I designed a standard site using WD6 and standard stretching buttons and navbars.
    The site works wonderfully on any desktop browser, but on Apple iPad you have to double-tap each button to go to the linked item.

I made some investigation about it, and discovered that when I tap a button, this make FIRST the MouseOver Layer appear; the second tap makes actually the link happen.

Eliminating the MouseOver layer makes the site work perfectly on iPad, but it becomes very poor on desktops.

I think there is a strange behaviour in soft groups used by WD6 in buttons and navbars: it seems like the "link to page" in "web properties" is present both on MouseOff and MouseOver layers of the object, and this probably cause this behaviour.

I tried to ungroup a button soft group, deleting the link in the web properties of the MouseOver layer button, leaving only the link in the MouseOff button properties, and this seem solve the problem.

But ungrouping and single-editing all the buttons and navbars is a huge work and I loose the best of WD...

Any tweak or help about this ?
    Thank you and greetings from Italy

Default Re: (WD6) Nav Bar and buttons on Ipad need double tap to work

Hi Mauro,

I have noticed this also with my iPhone 4. I have not been able to rectify this yet but i did notice that if you press and hold on a button the open link option appears, which happens alot on the OS4 systems anyway so maybe not too much of a problem.

I will keep an eye on this post to see if anyone else has the answer?

Good luck though and best wishes
    Nick Stephens

www.nikom.co.uk

Welcome to TalkGraphics mauro-tala

The iPad works in a different way because there is no mouse.

Design for the web browser and not the iPad. There are more people who use a web browser.

I have an iPad and I love it. But there are some things that I do not love. Buttons and links.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics mauro-tala

The iPad works in a different way because there is no mouse.

Design for the web browser and not the iPad. There are more people who use a web browser.

I have an iPad and I love it. But there are some things that I do not love. Buttons and links.
    So this issue has no solution at all ? What is Xara doing about this to make it compatible to ALL mobile browsers? Users nowadays use their "MOBILE" devices/phones to browse, email, video/music stream more than 8 hrs a day! So the only solution here is to create a separate button links and NOT use buttons and navbars??? No development?

I have just discovered the same problem with a couple of sites built with Web Designer 6 which have buttons using the navbar and other rollover buttons. They need clicking twice on iPhone and iPad and don't work at all on a netbook.

However when I go to other (non-Xara built) sites using what look like rollover buttons, they only require a single touch to activate on my iPhone.

Personally, I'm not that technical but a colleague who is suggests that its to do with the way IOS devices detect a mouse move event. On a device with a mouse it is possible to have both a mouse over event where the cursor is placed over the button, folowed by a mouse click event where the button is clicked. Because touch screen devices can't tell the difference between a finger hovering or clicking, the way IOS is set up, it has a priority of events and will respond to a mouse over event for the first mouse move event, then will respond as a mouse click on the second mouse move event. This could explain why it takes two touches to operate a Xara generated button on an iPad/iPhone.

(I hope I've explained that properly).

So removing the 'mouse over' option on each button in Xara looks like one solution to the problem as it removes the first mouse move event and IOS will default to the next mouse move event (the click). However, this also removes the highlighting effect, which is unnecessary on touch devices but is useful on non-touch devices before you click.

Ideally Xara could generate code that has some device specific logic. What it could do is to look for an IOS device and ignore the first on mouse move event (the mouse over) and just respond to a mouse move event as a click - which is all you really need on a touch screen device.

I'm tempted to give this a try but before I do can anyone from Xara comment. Can I assume that the same issue would occur using Web Designer 7 to generate the code?

Just heard from client that this is a problem on his ipod and yes.. website was done with Web Designer Premium with all recent updates. I need soloution to this problem too!!! XARA help us

Recreate your navbar so it does not use mouse over.

On any apple ipad/ipod the first tap is the mouse over and the second tap is the click event. Remove the need for the mouse over and a single tap should work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

How come buttons with "roll over effect" work no problem on a website I did using webstyle 4 when using ipod?

You would need to ask the developers that question.

I suspect there are diffeences in the javascript code that may account for that. I don't create web pages so never compared the code.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I just did a simple test..instead of Nav Bar..it seems to work ok when it is just a button, I guess making individual buttons and grouping might be answer for now. Has anyone else confirmed this on an ipad/ipod/iphone??